PDA

View Full Version : A badly played hand.

04-15-2002, 03:09 PM
I'm in the BB with KQo in a $4-$8 loose-passive game.

Six players limp to me and I limp as well.

Flop is Kc8c3h

I bet out and get a MP caller and the button raises. I stupidly think he has two-pair and I just call. The MP calls as well.

Turn is [Kc8c3h] Qd

Now I got two-pair. Big smile on the inside, and I decide to check-raise. The MP checks and the LP checks as well. Oh crap, he doesn't have two-pair, he was buying a free card.

The river is [Kc8c3hQd] 6c

Great! I give him a free card and he gets the flush on the river. So I just check, as I know what is coming. The MP checks and the LP checks. The MP had 78s and the LP had 89s but neither had clubs. I have top two-pair and the only bet I made was on the flop.

I suppose the LP raised on the flop to see if I really had the King or if I was just representing the King. Not a bad bet because if I didn't have a king I would have folded. I have no clue why the MP called his raise.

In any event, this hand reminded me to be a little more careful about giving away free cards.

04-15-2002, 06:20 PM
Daithi: From an earlier post I noted that you are just beginning to play poker. One of the first things I had to do, was to get out of the habit of always assuming that the raiser had a big hand. I think it was Roy Cooke in cardplayer who called this "Sniper in the woods" syndrome.

Remember that play when you get into a game with him again. You now may have some good information on him.

04-15-2002, 06:27 PM
You should have bet the flop or check-raised. You have the best hand with the top pair/top kicker as it is unlikely anybody had AK or KK. Failing to do that, bet out on the turn and on the river.

Don't feel bad, we all do this things one time or another.

04-15-2002, 08:12 PM
It's rarely correct to give free cards or slowplay in a loose passive game with a flush draw. Their coming no matter what. 3 betting your flop would have been your best play.

04-15-2002, 09:33 PM
True, but big pat on the shoulder for 'giving' a free showdown. *Very* many LL players would bet that river (in pure frustration?), get raised and pay off a pretty obvious straight draw.

Also a good excample of the enourmous importance of position in some hands.

lars

04-15-2002, 09:48 PM
I'll probably get flamed for this, but in passive games I think you played it fine. A raise on the flop (in these games) almost always signifies a big hand - or a free card play, and the people who are capable of free card flop raises are also capable of raising without the nuts. Clearly you underestimated your opponent though, which is why paying attention to players can be very important.

Although in my shoes, unless the LP is a real rock or someone who never puts extra money in the pot when he's not 99% sure he's winning, I would 3 bet the flop and lead the turn - and probably expect to see a set of 8s who was "scared you had KK". Checking the river is mandatory though.

Alright I'm a little bitter from one of "those" sessions last weekend.

04-16-2002, 02:59 PM