PDA

View Full Version : I get checkraised on the river

scrub
03-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Party 3/6--more passive bad than the usual wild bad.

I've got KJs. Limp after two loose EP limpers.

Folded behind me to the blinds (this is a surprise).

Loose EP bets a K rag rag flop with no flush draw. I raise. Folded back to him, he calls.

Checks another rag to me on the turn. I bet he calls.

River is a ten. He checks. I think to myself: "Self, against a reasonable player, the only kicker you should be beating is limpted KTs. This player could easily be passively calling you down with KQ. Then again, he is a loose passive party idiot. Therefore, bet so that he calls you with an underpair or K3s or whatever nonsense he has."

He checkraises. I pay to see the KT.

Anyone do anything different?

scrub

BaronVonCP
03-30-2004, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone do anything different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not against unknown opponents.

crockpot
03-30-2004, 09:01 AM
the river bet is fine, but you have a pretty weak hand to be calling a check-raise unless you think the guy is very tricky. you do have 9:1 odds on your call, but the vast majority of opponents won't be bluffing as much as 10% of the time here.

blackaces13
03-30-2004, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the river bet is fine, but you have a pretty weak hand to be calling a check-raise unless you think the guy is very tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

That rings pure and true but its just SO hard for me to do. Do you practice what you preach here? I find that I "know" I should be folding when check-raised on the river in a med/small pot but I almost never do. And just as I never fold... they never bluff. Its a tough thing to do IMO.

scrub
03-30-2004, 02:26 PM
I'd almost always make the fold live.

Party is such a strange place that I find myself EXTREMELY hesitant to fold top pair or better to action on the river. At least until I've looked someone up a few times and they've proved that they weren't drawing to a river bluff. I'm sure that I lose some EV playing this way against unknown opposition, but I worry about showing that I'm capable of folding there.

I might experiment with making the fold a little more often on Party...

scrub

btspider
03-30-2004, 02:27 PM
hopefully someone can answer this, as I always missed the concept when reading HPFAP. the book mentions the 55% figure for betting on the river when your opponent checks to you.. you should bet if you think you will win 55% of the time that you are called. the extra 5% is to deal with the potential for a check raise. but does this assume you fold or call when check raised?

i know your specific actions would be based on the board and your opponent, but what is this rule of thumb figure based on?