PDA

View Full Version : when you know he's going to raise..

04-15-2002, 02:09 PM
Tell me if you think this move has a positive ev.

LL online game. two limpers to me in the cutoff and I have 22. I call. All fold to the BB who raises. I notice BB has only enough chips for 3 small bets left and he's tilting. Limper 1 calls, limper 2 folds (?) and I call.

Flop is [ 9s 5s 8h ].

BB bets out. He has 2 chips left. limper calls. I raise. I am 99% sure he is going to make it 2 bets, and I'm hoping that will drive out the limper. I think I have the edge on the BB. I've got him on overcards and I will not have to risk anything else.

Anyone else like this play?

Sure enough he raised, limper folded, and I called.

*** TURN *** : [ 9s 5s 8h ] [ 7h ]

*** RIVER *** : [ 9s 5s 8h 7h ] [ Ad ]

He shows K2 and I win a small pot.

At the time I thought it was a good play, I guess I was a slight favorite heads up. But add the possibility that the limper calls and it might not be such a good play.

04-15-2002, 04:54 PM
David, online your play was excellent. I have done it many, many times. I keep a very close eye on the shorthanded stacks and on wether or not they may be tilting. Online, this kind of play happens much more than in live games. So I would not recommend this play in live games.

It amazes me how short stacks in LL online games tilt soooo badly.

Enrique

04-15-2002, 06:42 PM
It is likely that you were ahead of the last limper also, but getting him to fold 2 more overcards that could kill you helps a lot. You might even have got him to dump bottom pair or a small pocker pair.

This was a good read and a good play. Sometimes it isn't all about the cards.

But add the possibility that the limper calls and it might not be such a good play.

This might be a problem, but sometimes you take a shot and it doesn't work. I think may have been a good enough chance you were ahead of both of them on this flop anyway to try this.

Treefrog