PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this right?

imcastleman
03-30-2004, 03:40 AM
Level 1 of a $33 NL at Party. I have 79s in the big blind and there were 6 limpers and the pot was 100. The flop comes 7 9 A with 2 diamonds. I bet 150, 3 players fold and middle position raises to 300. I feel I can't get away from the hand so I just move all in. It turns out he had pocket aces and I am out in tenth place. I just want some reassurance that I played this properly.

Thanks,
Doug

VarlosZ
03-30-2004, 04:36 AM
Yeah, I don't think you could've done anything different. The guy took a chance by limping with Aces and wound up in a perfect situation -- it happens.

If it's any consolation, the flop was more likely to come K97, it which case you might bust him.

t_perkin
03-30-2004, 05:52 AM
Erm actually I am not convinced that you played this correctly.

with 6 limpers I would figure the other 3 A to be out there somewhere.

So you could be up against plenty of hands like:

A9, A7, 77, 99, AdKd, Td8d, Ad8d, AdTd

All of these hands you are a dog (quite surprised about the last two)

You didn´t specify whether the Ad was on the board, but to be honest I would put A9 and A7 as the two holdings you are mostly likely up against.

This early in the tournament I think bottom two pair is a hand that you can definately get away from. esp with a flush draw on the board.
<EDIT>It is the 6 limpers that is the thing that should scare you most, I would say you need trips or better here to be confident<EDIT>

Tim

*Ryan_21*
03-31-2004, 12:16 AM
If it makes you feel anybetter, consider yourself reasured. What you gonna do lay down two pair here? If you play NL poker, there are just gonna be hands that you are destined to go broke with. You just gotta accept that and roll with it.

Ryan_21

ThaSaltCracka
03-31-2004, 01:13 AM
this is to similar to a hand I had and posted on.
check it out if you want.
Humble Pie (http://http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=15653&F_Board=tourn&Threa d=600195&partnumber=&postmarker=)
Interestingly your play was very similar to mine, although the responses you have gotten have been much nicer, and informative, IMO.

hockey1
03-31-2004, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
with 6 limpers I would figure the other 3 A to be out there somewhere.

So you could be up against plenty of hands like:

A9, A7, 77, 99, AdKd, Td8d, Ad8d, AdTd

[/ QUOTE ]

To me this sounds weak-tight bordering on paranoid. Of course you COULD be up against those hands -- you could be up against any hand -- but that's not really the issue here. [Note that the fact that hero's holding 97 makes it particularly unlikely that anyone else is holding 99 or 77, or even A7 or A9]

The issue is what hands would this opponent re-raise all in with early in the tourney given that flop? A read on the opponent would be nice, but since it's early in the tourney, and he's just one of the Party masses, that's unlikely. Which probably leaves you to assume he's a standard Party $30+3 player, which means, in my experience, that he could re-raise all in with almost any A, and maybe some other hands to boot. I'd probably call here, although it's close. If I were faced with the same situation on PokerStars, where the players are more conservative and the stacks are deeper, I'd probably fold.

William
03-31-2004, 11:46 AM
Interestingly your play was very similar to mine

Now you definetely know you're in trouble /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just joking Salta /images/graemlins/grin.gif couldn't resist /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
03-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Its all good Will
I was just pointing it out to him. I think some of the same advice I got will probably work for him.

BTW, 18th????? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

William
03-31-2004, 12:40 PM
BTW, 18th????? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Touché /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
03-31-2004, 01:06 PM
FWIW, I laughed pretty hard at your first comment.
you should play in next weeks N.A. SnG, I want to see you play.