PDA

View Full Version : Defending with A4s

04-15-2002, 12:00 PM
OK, so UTG raises. All fold to you in the BB. UTG hasn't played very long so you don't know anything about him yet. What's your play?

In the actual hand I called and made a mess of things afterwards. So that, of course, got me to wondering whether or not I should have been in the hand at all. My thinking now is that if there hand been callers in between, or if the raise had come from a late position, then it's an easy call. But with only the UTG raise, you're not going to be getting the odds to draw to your flush, and, if an A flops, there's a good chance of you being dominated. So I think it's a fold.

I'm interested to know what everyone else thinks.

Thanks,

Matt

04-15-2002, 12:19 PM
This is a definite fold. UTG raiser is probably on big pocket pair (JJ or better) or AKs. Not knowing how he plays, you should give him the benefit of the doubt. There are no callers, so if you hit your hand no one will pay you off. Wait for a more favorable opportunity.

04-15-2002, 12:22 PM
If he raises UTG you would have to put him on Ace big kicker, or a good sized pocket pair. If you catch an Ace you would probably have to check-call to the river. Plus, you don't have the odds for the flush so, I think folding is the right thing to do.

04-15-2002, 03:06 PM
I was going to post the same question today. I must have had A - bad kicker in the BB 6 times this weekend. I have been folding to a single raiser, but playing with more callers. But of course unless you flop 2 pair, you are questioning all the way to the end, so is it worth playing against multiple players?

04-15-2002, 04:17 PM
I think if you flop less than two pair multiway it's probably check and fold if there's any action (i.e. a bet and several callers or a bet and a raise). If it gets checked through I'll bet the turn or if a late position player bets and there's a good chance he's stealing I'll raise.

david, you didn't mention if your A-crap was suited or not. Would you (or anyone else) call a raise out of the BB with Axo? I'm thinking this is a fold, too.

Matt

04-15-2002, 05:17 PM
I find it's an easier decision when it's suited. If there are going to bbe 3 of us seeing the flop I will call. When unsuited it's harder. With A9o I lean towards playing if there are 2 of us, and if there are 4 or more I start thinking that A6o looks good, but that is probably not so smart, I don't imagine A6o is a good multi-way hand.

I would like ot hear what better players think about this. I play too many hands to begin with and definately too many from the blinds.

04-15-2002, 05:45 PM
This is an easy fold. However, if it's suited and you have 5 or more callers I would call.

Enrique

04-15-2002, 05:48 PM
...and if there are 4 or more I start thinking that A6o looks good, but that is probably not so smart, I don't imagine A6o is a good multi-way hand.

Well, at least you figured it out by yourself. Axo is an easy fold in the big blind for a raise. My threshold for offsuit Aces is as low as ATo since it can make a straight. However, AJo should usually be folded against a legitimate early position raise.

04-15-2002, 06:28 PM
I had a-3c in the big blind. Two callers. Flop was

A-Q-5. I checked, ep bet and late position called. Typical low limit game with everyone calling with any ace. I figure I have I am outkicked and fold.

Naturally, turn is another ace. EP wins with queens.

04-15-2002, 09:41 PM
I once folded ATs in BB pre-flop against one very solid early position raisor and no-one else in the pot. Why play trouble even in BB? I'd much rather call with 76 OFFSUIT.

lars

04-15-2002, 11:45 PM
1 BB from UTG, 1/2 bb from small blind. 1/2 bb to you with A4s to see the flop...hmmmm.