PDA

View Full Version : Loose BB call?

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Paradise 2/4 earlier today. Haven't been playing a whole lot of limit ring games lately, but one aspect I've been concerned about has been atendency to fold too many hands to a raise when in the BB. This hand may have been an over-correction.

I'm in the BB with 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

folded to MP1 who limps. MP 3 limps, CO raises, button & SB fold, I call the raise, both limpers call. 4 see the flop for 8.5 sb.

Flop: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, MP1 bets MP3 folds, CO calls, I call.

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, MP1 bets, CO raises, I 3-bet, MP1 folds, CO calls.

River: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, CO calls, MHIG.

HH shows cutoff had K /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

CO gives me a little noise about my preflop call.

Questions:

1. How sketchy *is* the PF call? My rationale is that I don't expect a reraise, and that makes the implied odds preflop 7.5 - 1 on a hand that should be easy to play from there on.

2. Do you agree that the flop call was reasonable? 10.5 pot odds is a hair thin, but I should get good implied odds if I hit and it's an easy fold on the turn if I miss.

3. Who goes for the overcall on the turn? Did my 3-bet there cost me 1 or 2 bb's?

BigEndian
03-29-2004, 09:26 PM
that makes the implied odds preflop 7.5 - 1

I hope you mispoke here Kurn.

Anyhow, I'm pretty loose in the blinds but I don't make this call if they aren't suited.

Flop is a no-brainer - call.

It's a toss up on the turn, I'd probably 3-bet here too if I checked. More likely I bet out.

- Jim

jrobb83
03-29-2004, 09:27 PM
First, don't listen when someone offers advice online, or b&m for that matter. Those qualified to give it never do.

I'd call with the 87o pf only if the limpers are likely to give me a big payday when I hit my hand. Otherwise, I would get out at that point.

The turn call is pretty easy. You're closing the betting, and have 4 clean outs to the nuts. Only 10.5-1 immediate odds, but your implied odds are pretty good. (you did end up getting 5 BB's out of them /images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

I don't like going for the overcall. You would have broken even on the turn, and possibly 1 extra on the river if both had put in a bet. I would always three-bet here and hope to get called twice. This way if both have decent hands you get even more bets, plus you are making them pay to draw out on you.

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-29-2004, 09:52 PM
I hope you mispoke here Kurn.

Did I? When it gets back to me, there's $11 in the pot, and it's $2 to call, with two players left to act behind me. That sure looks like my $2 goes into $15, or 7.5 - 1. The assumption, of course is my read of the table not being likely to limp-reraise.

I'm pretty loose in the blinds but I don't make this call if they aren't suited.

I don't disagree. As I said, I think I over-corrected.

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-29-2004, 09:54 PM
First, don't listen when someone offers advice online

I don't. Nor do I reply.

BigEndian
03-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Those are pot odds sir Kurn /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

- Jim

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-29-2004, 11:03 PM
The limpers haven't called yet when I call the raise. Aren't their calls implied?

BigEndian
03-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Implied refers to later rounds of betting if you're a Sklansky disciple. It's pretty much a given they'll call. Technically, I guess you could call this effective odds though I think of effective odds as the consequence of a re-raise behind rather than calls.

- Jim

Joe Tall
03-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Kurn,

Pick a better hand or a bigger pot for this call. It's really really light.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Mike Gallo
03-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Suited I might call offsuit I fold.

Homer
03-30-2004, 12:04 AM
Suited isn't even close, it's a call. Offsuit is closer. I'd call getting 8:1 if it went raise-call-call instead of call-call-raise, since I'd be closing the action and would be in good position relative to the PFR. In this situation, it's a little closer, and I'm not sure if I'd call or fold. One more player (10:1) and I'd definitely call.

-- Homer

Mike Gallo
03-30-2004, 12:19 AM
Suited isn't even close, it's a call.

I trust you. I would call then /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-30-2004, 09:00 AM
OK, I get it now.