PDA

View Full Version : Free press? Not while we're in charge!

IrishHand
03-29-2004, 07:42 PM
From today's NY Times, bringing back fond memories of other similarly enlightened occupying nations.
(Normally I'd just link it and comment, but NYTimes.com requires registration.) Hypocrisy is a lovely thing...
Irish

----------------------------------------------------------------

G.I.'s Padlock Baghdad Paper Accused of Lies
By JEFFREY GETTLEMAN

Published: March 29, 2004

AGHDAD, Iraq, March 28 — American soldiers shut down a popular Baghdad newspaper on Sunday and tightened chains across the doors after the occupation authorities accused it of printing lies that incited violence.

Thousands of outraged Iraqis protested the closing as an act of American hypocrisy, laying bare the hostility many feel toward the United States a year after the invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.

"No, no, America!" and "Where is democracy now?" screamed protesters who hoisted banners and shook clenched fists in a hastily organized rally against the closing of the newspaper, Al Hawza, a radical Shiite weekly.

The rally drew hundreds and then thousands by nightfall in central Baghdad, where masses of angry Shiite men squared off against a line of American soldiers who rushed to seal off the area.

The closing of the newspaper illustrated the quandary Americans faced in trying to strike a balance between their two main goals — encouraging democracy while maintaining stability. But as the days wind down to the June 30 target date for handing sovereignty back to the Iraqi people, security seems increasingly elusive.

On Sunday, the Iraqi public works minister narrowly escaped an assassination attempt in the northern city of Mosul, and two foreign workers were shot to death nearby in front of a power plant.

Many Iraqis said closing down a popular newspaper at such a crucial time would not curtail anti-occupation feelings but only inflame them.

"When you repress the repressed, they only get stronger," said Hamid al-Bayati, a spokesman for the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq, a prominent Shiite political party. "Punishing this newspaper will only increase the passion for those who speak out against the Americans."

The American authorities said Al Hawza could reopen in 60 days. The paper's editors, however, said they had been put out of business.

"We have been evicted from our offices, and we have no jobs," Saadoon Mohsen Thamad, a news editor, said as he stared at a large padlock hanging from the front gate. "How are we going to continue?"

Among Iraqi journalists, Al Hawza was known for printing wild rumors, especially anti-American ones. A broadsheet of about eight pages, the paper is considered a mouthpiece for Moktada al-Sadr, a fiery young Shiite cleric and one of the most outspoken critics of the Americans.

The letter ordering the paper closed, signed by L. Paul Bremer III, the top administrator in Iraq, cited what the American authorities called several examples of false reports in Al Hawza, including a February dispatch that said the cause of an explosion that killed more than 50 Iraqi police recruits was not a car bomb, as occupation officials had said, but an American missile.

Many newspapers and television stations have sprouted in Iraq since the fall of the Hussein government. But under a law passed by the occupying authorities in June, a news media organization must be licensed, and that license can be revoked if the organization publishes or broadcasts material that incites violence or civil disorder or "advocates alterations to Iraq's borders by violent means."

But the letter outlining the reasons for taking action against Al Hawza did not cite any material that directly advocated violence. Several Iraqi journalists said that meant there was no basis to shut Al Hawza down.

"That paper might have been anti-American, but it should be free to express its opinion," said Kamal Abdul Karim, night editor of the daily Azzaman.

Omar Jassem, a freelance reporter, said he thought that democracy meant many viewpoints and many newspapers. "I guess this is the Bush edition of democracy," he said.

Tom Rosenstiel, vice chairman of the Committee of Concerned Journalists, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, said there was a basic irony in Americans' practicing censorship in Iraq.

"If you're trying to promote democracy in a country that has never had it, you have to lead by example," Mr. Rosenstiel said. "I'm not in Iraq. But it's hard for me to see how the suppression of information, even false information, is going to help our cause."

andyfox
03-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Hyposcrisy is our calling card. We only believe in democracy for others when it suits us.

IrishHand
03-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Democracy? You mean a process where the people are able to vote for their own government? That's fine, I suppose, so long as they choose someone we approve of. God forbid that those heathens elect the people they want to elect - their chosen leaders wouldn't be pro-US, and that would defeat the whole purpose of our latest international adventure.

The whole process in Iraq would be improved immesurably if we just get rid of dissenting opinions. Let's start by shutting down an anti-US newspaper and see if the others get in line.

In all seriousness, the US tends to only be moderately in favor of democracy in the US. Elsewhere, it's invariably a net negative. You see...a truly free and democratically elected government abroad is more likely (as a general matter) to make decisions based on what's best for its constituents as opposed to what's best for the US. It's far better from a US perspective if other nations have dictatorships and the like in place - they're far easier to bribe, manipulate and coerce.

nicky g
03-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Irishhand and Jimbo come back at the same time, eh? Clearly the same poster. And we already know that jimbo is WakeupCall and Irishhand is Chris Alger. Which leads me to the conclusion that only me and one other person are posting here. Which is probably a good thing.