PDA

View Full Version : Another BB hand

04-15-2002, 02:14 AM
Same $.50/$1 session

KQo in the BB. Same 2UTG loose raiser as before, button calls, SB folds to me.

1) I can play this one. There's a chance I'm dominated, but with the loose raising standards, it's not quite as likely.

Flop: Q 6 J rainbow

Now here's where I know I messed up. I bet out. I know that I should have gone for a check-raise to show more strength and to really see where I stand. It gets called around.

Turn: Q 6 J 4 rainbow

Now there's a total brick. I meant to bet out again, but I clicked on check (stupid me!). EP checks, button bets. The button has bet a few times in this position with very little (second pair, top pair no kicker), so I raise to isolate him (I'm beating everything but AQ). To my horror, EP calls (slow-played a something?).

River: Q 6 J 4 K

Now I've got two pair, but there's a straight out there. Does either of them hold AT or T9? What about EP's cold call? Possible set? Do I bet into this board, check-call, or check-fold?

04-15-2002, 02:22 AM
Pre-flop raiser had T9o for the straight, and the button had ATo for the better straight. I'm ashamed to tell you how the betting went, but in telling you this, you can probably guess what happened...

I smiled to myself and frowned to myself simultaneously (if anyone were watching, it probably would have been funny to look at). Why is EP raising T9o pre-flop? Why did the button bet a gutshot into the flop agressor? Why is my luck so bad tonight? Well, that last one doesn't have any answer other than bad luck is supposed to happen. Perhaps next time the cards will be better (and I will play better).

04-15-2002, 03:16 AM
Betting out on the flop is fine. I prefer leading to check-raising when the pot is relatively small. I don't think you need to "find out where you stand." You have top pair with an excellent kicker. You should plan on seeing the showdown unless someone gives you a good reason not to. Check-raising the turn is a good play, and some would have you believe that it should be your default play. I would bet the river. A straight is possible, but I think your hand is going to be good often enough that a value bet is in order. And I'd pay off a raise. Checking and folding would be terrible unless perhaps it's bet and raised back to you.

04-15-2002, 03:23 AM
Given that you say the button is aggressive, I love the checkraise on the turn once EP raiser also checks. Love it.

On the river, I bet. What I do after that depends on what they do.

04-15-2002, 04:18 AM
nicely played i think...

not sure what id do on the river

if no overcard comes, youll take down a big pot. unfortunately, that great "yeah! boo!" feeling hits when that K hits....

i wouldve either c/r the flop, or checked to the turn and tried to c/r here *p170 HPFAP for the thought process on this*. but you represented a draw a little on the flop play, so ya got a c/r in anyway..

there's a few different ways to play this, however, the gutshotters may still have called.

b