PDA

View Full Version : I think I overplayed my draw here...

chuckbomb
03-29-2004, 04:55 PM
UB $20+2 NL tourney, level 1, blinds 5/10. I'm at t1000. I'm in MP w/ 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Folded to me, I limp, LP raises to 45, blinds fold, I call. In retrospect, this was probably my first mistake, but I like the suited connectors. Flop comes:
9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Sweet, an open-ended straight-flush draw.
I check, he bets the pot, I raise to 420. Maybe a little overaggressive, but I like my draw. He reraises all-in, essentially putting me all-in. Hmmm, he's representing an overpair, QJ or something else good. I think for a long time and call. Comments? Results below:

<font color="white"> </font> He flips over pocket 5s, giving me a ridiculous 21 outs. I hit a 7 on the river and double up, and end up placing 2nd in the tourney. <font color="white"> </font>

prairieboy
03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Don't open limp with 78s in MP.

I would have bet out on the flop rather than check-raise.

If you do check-raise, better to raise big than small. After he re-raises all-in, you're pretty much already committed to the pot so calling is fine here too.

Moonsugar
03-29-2004, 06:06 PM
I am no expert, but:

1) I don't like the preflop limp, but I think your call of the raise was fine.

2) I like your play on the flop. If you had raised preflop then I wouldn't like the checkraise but instead would lead.

3) I think your call of the all in is good. You are a favorite against any hand but a set, made K high straight, bigger flush draw, and maybe JJ ( not sure about that one though). A hand like AQ (no clubs) you are a favorite against, and getting nice odds. I think the way he played it screams overpair or AQ, or less likely, a set. Most people will not play the made straight, higher flush draw this fast. Maybe a set they would. Against the likely possible hands someone may play this way and the odds the pot is laying v. the odds you make the best hand I think you have to call unless you have some terrific read of this player.