PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this hand well?

bank
03-29-2004, 04:48 PM
I thought I might have reraised a bit too much on the flop, but the end result was good.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

Button ($42)
SB ($135.35)
Hero ($50)
UTG ($85.35)
UTG+1 ($39)
UTG+2 ($293.45)
MP1 ($45.50)
MP2 ($38)
MP3 ($48.35)
CO ($131.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1, CO calls $1, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($5) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, MP3 calls $8, CO folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $22</font>, UTG calls $14, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($57) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $27 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls $27.

River: ($111) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $111
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $111, between Hero and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($111).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kc 2h (two pair, kings and twos).
UTG shows Kd Ad (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins $111. </font>

prairieboy
03-29-2004, 05:18 PM
I like it. With a K-rag-rag flop you're almost certainly ahead, so go ahead and charge the other players to draw against you. If you get reraised on the flop, then you can start worrying about one of the others having a set.

Other options would be
1. If you're going to re-raise, re-raise all-in on the flop (because you're pot-committed if you raise anyway)
2. Call the flop and check-raise the turn. This might have allowed you to get a bit more $$ from the third player, but it increases the risk too.

Krytemaster
03-29-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Other options would be
1. If you're going to re-raise, re-raise all-in on the flop (because you're pot-committed if you raise anyway)

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like this option even though against some opponents it would give the same result. However, some opponents with a hand that would have called a moderate raise, like yours, would have folded to an all-in raise and the opponent will still be pot-commited and have to put in his last money on turn.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Call the flop and check-raise the turn. This might have allowed you to get a bit more $$ from the third player, but it increases the risk too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this play is very good against some opponents. If you are quite certain that the flop raiser will come out with a bet somewhere around the pot on turn (no matter what turn card) so you can set him all-in there and have him real pot-committed (and maybe get some extra $$$ from the third player). But if the flop raiser is a very passive player, one of the kind that likes to bet a $4-bet or something on turn - not to lose his opponents with a big bet or might check (!!!!), I definitely donīt like it!

But If you donīt know the player too well, which is often the case on internet I like the raise on the flop much more. You donīt want to give a free card to a Kx to hit a better two pair either. Such a hand should pay to draw out on you.

With my experience I think the way bank played would give the most money in the long run.

Krytemaster

kerpowski
03-29-2004, 06:06 PM
I really dislike option 1. Reraising all-in on the flop will just get worse hands (AK, KQ, etc.) to fold while still losing all your money to a set. By betting the amount that he did he gets himself pot committed, as you mentioned. This is exactly what he wants as it also gets UTG pot committed with what is most likely a three outer.

unreal_ugn
03-29-2004, 06:16 PM
I like the play. I can see an argument for going all-in on the flop, but as posters have mentioned before, you're only going to scare him off if he's a good player. Certainly all-in is correct here since you are putting 1/2 of your stack into the middle, but it might not have made you the most money.

You moved in when the turn came a blank, and he really had no choice but to call you. Cool. That's what he gets for playing big slick suited like a chump. Heheh. /images/graemlins/wink.gif