PDA

View Full Version : Call All-in with Straight Flush Draw?

UACat97
03-29-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm pretty new to NL ring games and would like to hear anyone's opinion of what to do in this situation.

.10 BB game, I'm on the button with 7c9c and about a $20 stack.

Pre-Flop: 4 limpers to me and I limp; SB (Who I see as loose-aggressive) raises to .30; BB folds and everyone else calls.

Flop: Board comes 10c 7s 6c. SB immediately pushes all-in. He's got me covered by $4. Everyone folds to me. I seriously thought about calling, but I erred on the side of caution and mucked.

I've seen the SB do this a few times from early position when there's a board with potential draws on it. I figure he's got a decent holding (overpair, maybe) but vulnerable.

I figure with the inside straight flush draw and two other sevens in the deck (provided he didn't make a set on the flop), I've got 13 outs, which puts me at almost even money (~1.1 to 1) to make my hand by the river. Should I have called?

Thanks for any replies.

unreal_ugn
03-29-2004, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't have even played 97s on the button, or especially called a raise with it. On the flop, at best you have about 13 outs, in which case only 4 of them are the nuts. 3 of those 4 outs are very susceptible to a club redraw, leaving you with only 1 solid out. This is an easy muck.

Paul2432
03-29-2004, 05:00 PM
If your opponent has an overpair without a club you are a 58% favorite. With a big club a 53% favorite. Against AcKc your a 58% favorite. Only against the fairly unlikely top set or made straight are you a dog (36% or 42%).

I think this is an easy call.

Paul

unreal_ugn
03-29-2004, 05:35 PM
So you're going to risk your whole stack on a draw to the non-nuts? There's only 4 cards here that are going to give you the nuts, and as I mentioned, 3 of them are susceptible to a redraw. You're only getting 1:1 on your call. Calling is NOT a correct play here.

illmatic
03-29-2004, 05:54 PM
Straight flush draws are like AK. You want to be the one pushing all-in, trying to win the pot right there, not calling all-in with them.

The way you laid it out, it's close to a 50/50 play. Assuming you are more skilled than your opponent, you can do better than that against him using your edge in skill, so you should fold and pick another hand to fight with.

But, if you feel lucky, call.

later.
illmatic