PDA

View Full Version : JJ Hand early in SNG

sabre170
03-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Howdy, all. Long time lurker making my first contribution here.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t10 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t930)
Button (t785)
SB (t990)
BB (t2395)
UTG (t800)
Hero (t1045)
MP1 (t1410)
MP2 (t950)
MP3 (t695)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t35</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t120, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t495</font>,

So he has a legit raising hand. AK, AQ, 88-AA?
Still, I can't bring myself to release my jacks just yet. He's been aggressive already, which is why he is a little behind in chips. I don't remember even considering what MP3 might be up to.

Hero calls t375, MP3 calls t375.

Flop: (t1500) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets t305 (All-In)</font>,

Since I missed the flop, my first inclination is to run away. But wait. What could he have had to start with that beats me? Only AA, KK, or QQ. He wouldn't have raised so aggressively, I hope, with hands that make a straight, a set, or two pair, would he? A5s? Argh! He's all-in and I have him covered, so if I lose, I'll have the chance to make a heroic comeback. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hero calls t305, MP3 folds.

Turn: (t2110) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2110) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2110

Is this one of those hands that comes down to luck?
Any suggestions on how to improve or test my read without just guessing?

Thanks,
Sabre170

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Qd Ad (one pair, twos).
Hero shows Js Jd (two pair, jacks and twos).
Outcome: Hero wins t2110. </font>

Simon Diamond
03-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Since I missed the flop

Looks like to me you got the sort of flop you want when you have J-J. Why call for nearly half your stack preflop and not like that flop?

I think more of an issue is how you play it preflop, maybe calling his first raise and seeing what sort of flop you get could be a better ploy.

The size of his re-raise would normally indicate he has a very strong hand, though it is always hard to tell unless you have played this guy before. Personally I am either all in preflop there or the hooks are in the muck.

Simon

sabre170
03-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Thank you for the feedback, Simon.

I liked that the flop had no overcards.
I didn't like that the flop had no Jacks.

So perhaps I just got lucky /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sabre170

RollaJ
03-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Played OK, but I would either fold JJ to a reraise that big(most likely), or push it all in as I will not be bought off that hand once there is so much in the pot no matter what the flop

ThaSaltCracka
03-29-2004, 04:49 PM
esh, I hate pocket jacks btw.
I wouldn't have reraised UTG preflop, you never know what his hand is there. But I find his reraise somewhat odd though(UTG), anyone else think that?

On the flop, I think you have to call. You are a huge favorite against overcards, and any other pair below yours, plus there is so much in the pot all ready.

also your opponents play on the flop would seem to tell me he didn't hit either. I seriously doubt he pushes there with AA, KK, or QQ, but thats just me.

VarlosZ
03-30-2004, 12:43 AM
I'd just call the first raise; JJ is not that strong of a hand. Get in pretty cheaply (but with a decent pot up for grabs), then play aggressively if you get a good flop (like, say, a 2-3-4 rainbow). If the flop comes with an A, you can get away from it cheaply.

Unless I felt confident that the UTG was a maniac (or at least pushing maniac), I would fold to his reraise. He's representing AA or KK, and you still have to worry about MP3. This means that if the flop comes with any overcard, you probably have to give it up, and you could very well be dead even if it doesn't.

It worked out for you this time, but you can get into a lot of trouble playing JJ so strongly.

ThaSaltCracka
03-30-2004, 01:56 AM
Sabre,
I best advice I have gotten in relation to Jacks is to play it mucht like you would 88-TT. JJ is not as good as QQ-AA so don't play it like you would with those hands.
Hope that helps.... it has helped me..... and I should know because I have killed myself enough times with JJ.

t_perkin
03-30-2004, 06:34 AM
what buyin this is?

If you are playing $30 Party or equivalent or higher then I would flat call PF and bet hard on the flop.

lower than that and I would probably play it the same way that you did or fold to the reraise.

Tim

sabre170
03-30-2004, 02:42 PM
It was UB $20+2.