PDA

View Full Version : How play should change relative to stack size & size of bets called.

DcifrThs
03-29-2004, 10:50 AM
I was taking a break from 15/30 to play some 200nl at party poker this weekend when i saw a good 2+2 poster play in a normal manner without adjusting (imo, and i may be wrong here) to the stack sizes and the sizes of bets the villian in this hand was calling.

As i sat and folded mostly, seeing who the fish were, showing down no hands but winning about $80 in the slow process, this good 2+2 player started with about $500 (when i entered) and built it up nicely to $1000 by playing in the following manner against his victims: all bets were pot sized. i mean literally, i did not see a single non-pot sized bet (other than preflop) out of him for the time he was there. some he took down, others he won against people who assumed he was stealing all the time and calling with poor hands or dominated hands.

the affect of this play is people have no idea what you have. he bet the pot one time (i think it was around $50) and was raised. he then reraised the pot (which put the victim all in) and took it down with tptk on ace ragged non two suited flop. this 2+2 player also folded a few times correctly when shown undue aggression. thats good since if you're always being the aggressor, when a straightforward playing person moves you in its highly likely you're DOA.

BUT the one thing i noticed is that he did not adjust to whether people were adjusting to him. As his stack size was at $900-1100, he came in for the standard raise and was called in maybe 3-5 places (dont remember exactly). but the only other threat to him was one or two seats to his left, that person had maybe 300-600 in his stack. flop comes something like Q94 rb. there was about 15*3 to 15*5 bets in the pot...i'll take 15*4 for $60 in the pot ($15 was his standard bring in). hero bets $60 and was smooth called by the threat with 300-600 in his stack. turn blanks off no suited threat other than backdoor but nobody's calling $60 in a $60 pot with nothing other than the bd here. so now there's $180 in the pot. hero again bets the pot and is called. so that's $180*3 now in the pot at the river=$540. hero moves the guy in for the rest and is shown 99 to his KK. so in one hand, as is the nature of no limit, hero goes from 900-1100 down to about 500 in chips.

Keep in mind that the good 2+2 player has been winning both with hands and, presumably, without by playing in this manner. i just think at some point a hand like this comes up where some adjustment is needed. I have fallen victim to it as well since it works with shorter stacks but against larger stacks its a bit expensive and doesn't work as well. that is certainly why I only play deep NL in florida against gambling boat fish (min buy=$500 for 5/10 blinds 11 handed most have over $1500). I usually buy for the min and double up and call it a night.

what Im talking about here is the ability for people to adjust, UNKNOWINGLY TO US, and only play monsters against us making those huge potsized bets all the time. eventually, one player is going to say, "hey, this guy can be relied upon almost 100% to bet the pot so all i have to do is get in there with a hand and i've made all the money i need to for the night."

the problem is, we don't know who or when thats gunna happen at these 200 tables.

Soooooooooooooo...my question is, maybe its better to adopt a practice of betting different sizes when stacks are deep and the caller has shown a serious interest in the hand. personally after he smooth called $60 on the flop I don't think i'd bet the $180. i think i might check here for the following reasons: 1) if i'm beat its already occured, this person is not calling with an ace and a free card won't hurt. 2) his stack isn't going anywhere on the turn and i can try to read his hand by the size of his bet and how quick he makes it in addition tot he given manner in which he's played. 3) i can get away from my one pair, a hand that usually ends up costing me a good deal of $$$.

it takes talent and ability to get away from a hand like this. Maybe it shouldnt' be gotten away from. i don't know as im nowhere near an expert nor even a great NL player.

money changes quickly in that game and after that hand the 2+2'er i think came a bit unglued and played a combo of good/sub-par until he had about $200 and then left the room with just over his, presumably, original buy in. I continued to play utnil i got board watching and quit with around $350, not really showing any hands, but not winning much either. it is clear that my idea of NL (the way i play) is pretty close to limit poker other than the fact that i can change up my play freely and raise $20 after a few limpers with 6s5s (on button or CO) knowing a pot sized bet on an Axx flop will take it down more than 50% of the time. plus i can flop two pair or a monster and win a huge pot. can't do that so much in limit. i wasn't up anywhere near the $1000 mark that session and played it to get my mind off of limit and am currently taking a break from 15/30 to move to 50/100/200NL for a bit.

POINT OF THE POST: how in the world do we, as pot bettors, adjust to the fact that when we play big hands in early position people may be allowing us to just bet their hands since they have position and on any given raggedy flop, our big ones can be beated by any old card that gives a player a set. but since we play the same way most of the time, these players have no fear about not building a pot since they know if we have KK, AA or a good hand we'll bet it the whole way and move whomever is in our way to the felt.

As our stacks grow, more and more is put at risk and as the pot grows and grows, pot sized bets are more and more risky. they risk the same relative % of our stacks most of the time but it is now significantly more $$$$. some will say thats the point. that we keep the % the same. BUT for OTHER players in there with us, these values have more meaning to them and its similar to them calling with fewer chips in a tourney to our more chips. their chips mean more to them even though its still the same relative % of our stacks.

the chips mean more b/c they're risking more to win what we're putting out there.

I hope to hear from Limon, Zee, and the rest of that BIG BET NL crew but ALL comments are VERY appreciated. Thanks.

-Barron

PS- I apologize for the length of the post and the "all over the place" nature of it but it got me thinking about how maybe i should put less out there in a huge pot even with a hand i'm willing to call that big bet with so i have the option to NOT call the big bet.

1800GAMBLER
03-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Regarding the KK hand my preflop raise amount will stay the same because most players will only have the buy in and i have no idea who is going to be coming in with me. If the big stack limped ahead of me it would be larger, likely doubled. Remember though, even though he has 600 that's still only 150BBs which isn't a deep stack thanks to Party Poker structure.

In the hand with KK on that flop i'd bet 1.5x pot. If called i'm very ready to shut down. By this time though i've usually been watching the big stacks every hand so it becomes a lot easier. The hand becomes a lot easier with the overbet on the flop too. Although big pairs are up in value for NL they aren't of much value with very deep stacks, you have to be ready to drop them. 'To the felt' odds are awful here. The river play was awful here too.

""hey, this guy can be relied upon almost 100% to bet the pot so all i have to do is get in there with a hand and i've made all the money i need to for the night.""

If the raise was big enough preflop and the pot bettor is solid then the players adjusting aren't going to make very much profit. I'll call a lot of hands blind against pot betting players who _must_ also play too loose/tight/obvious.

bunky9590
03-29-2004, 11:05 AM
That system works to a certain extent, but you need to know when to shut down and keep the darn pot small. Sometimes you need to manipualte pot size and not just fire both guns blazing. (I've learned the expensive way)

No sometimes half pot bets on the turn are enough to get the job done while alot I'll check the turn to induce a river pot sized bluff and call down with a good hand and win. If you pot the flop (which I usually do) and get callers if you don't have a monster slow down and keep the pot a bit smaller so you're not faced with super difficult decisions for BIG BETS later on.

DcifrThs
03-29-2004, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the KK hand my preflop raise amount will stay the same because most players will only have the buy in and i have no idea who is going to be coming in with me.

If the raise was big enough preflop and the pot bettor is solid then the players adjusting aren't going to make very much profit. I'll call a lot of hands blind against pot betting players who _must_ also play too loose/tight/obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay,

thanks for the response. i was with you all the way until the end there. I can't imagine what you mean when you say you'll call blind against pot betting players who MUST also play too loose/tight/obvious. its the blind part i'm not getting.

if i have classified a player i usually know before i get my cards what i need to raise him/call him or in general play when he's in the pot based on how he bets his hands. i THEN LOOK at my cards and see what i have and how it matches up in the given situation. i can play NL blind only against the typical if i raise PF and it comes with anything i'm potting it. given i'm in position and decently large stacks when he pots it i'll just smooth call. he will almost certainly check the next card when i complete my resteal and cards don't matter. if he has to think for a second and bets less than the pot then i gotta use my own mind for a change and judge whether he has an overpair, two big ones he's tring to bluff is way out of, or a monster that did hit the flop like a med.pair.

but thats about it. i don't play blind and just want a little bit of clarification on that last point.

Also, you said "if the preflop raise was big enough." what did you mean by that and in what context?

thanks again Jay!
-Barron

1800GAMBLER
03-29-2004, 07:08 PM
The blind part means i'll play about 60% of my hands against a player when this situation comes up. If i'm in position and a player who plays too loose and aggressive raises (less than 20th of his stack) EP i'll call with most holdings in the 100BB game. Same applies to the people who play too honest or bet reflecting their hand.

LAP raised 7BBs (200BB stack) i called with 78o, flop 78J raindow and he goes bust with KJ. Seems like a call for a long shot that will rarely get paid off but even when the LAG misses the flop i can get 2 pot sized bluffs and possibly a call on my raise if he has overcards.

'Preflop raise big enough'

If i had KK in the 200BB stack after having raised 1/5th of my stack preflop i'm pretty safe from mistakes since i can get away from my hand so the evil pocket pairs below me aren't going to get value out of me.

This is only in the soft and obvious NL games. In tough games you have to raise bigger preflop since some players you will have to pay off.