PDA

View Full Version : 3/6 Party - Bizarre AA hand

Daggs911
03-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Strange hand from last night.

3/6 - Party Poker, 10 Handed. Hero is SB with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

UTG folds. UTG+1 folds. EP calls. MP1 folds. MP2 folds. CO+1 raises. CO folds. Button folds. Hero re-raises. BB folds. EP calls. CO+1 caps. Hero calls. EP calls.

Flop (3 handed, 13 SB): 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero checks. EP bets. CO+1 raises. Hero 3-bets. EP caps. CO+1 calls. Hero calls.

Turn (3 handed, 12.5 BB): 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks. EP bets. CO+1 raises. Your action? (results in white below)

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Matt

<font color="white"> On the turn, I called and EP called. River came Jd. We checked through on the river. My aces took it down. From the hand history, EP had Ah3h. CO+1 had QcQs. Although I took the pot down, I'm not really sure whether folding, calling, or raising on the turn would be better in the long run. </font>

PokerBob
03-29-2004, 10:54 AM
RaiseRaiseRaise. If he capped with a small pair and caught a set, good for him.

AviD
03-29-2004, 11:10 AM
I would come out betting the turn, because as you can see the way it unfolded...you have no idea where you stand when its 2 cold back to you.

With the preflop action, I'd certainly put CO+1 (or CO-1) on a pocket pair larger than the 9s. EP just calling preflop and then coming alive on the flop feels like a set to me, but in fact he was betting for value the whole way.

I think the way it played out, you have to call down here...but you've in essence "stuck" yourself because you have no clue where you stand here. i.e. becoming a calling station. I wouldn't be worried about CO+1 (CO-1) as much as the EP, and betting on the turn helps you figure out where you stand.

Betting the turn you would likely know if he has the set (you'd get raised) or if he is on a draw (he just calls).

That's my .02.

Check/Call it down at this point, unless an A or 2 drops on the river then raise it up.

Next time take the initiative, it will give you a better idea of where you stand.

BigBaitsim (milo)
03-29-2004, 11:14 AM
He capped preflop and probably would not have done that with 99 (although this is Party, so...). I would have assumed he had KK or the other AA and continued raising. Now had he just called the three-bet, then capped the flop or turn, I might have slowed down.

Had a hand like that the other day. I held AK, raised and got many callers. Flop was TJ8r and I check-called along with two others. Turn was Q and two of us capped it. River was a blank and when he raised me, I thought of just calling so we could both turn over AK and maybe save a tiny bit of rake. Decided to reraise and he capped with K9! Very sweet pot. I added the guy to my buddy list (based on this and other similar play).