PDA

View Full Version : AA with a medium stack vs. a big stack

bunky9590
03-29-2004, 10:13 AM
UB 50NL hero has $73.00 villian has $190.00

I have AA in EP and raise to 3.00. Only the villian calls in the BB.

Flop 8 6 2 rainbow.
BB checks, I pot it to 6.50. BB check min raises, (rut roh)

I call.

Turn A
He pots it, I push he calls.

River 4
And he flips over 66 for the flopped set, turned loser.

Pretty standard play right?

crockpot
03-29-2004, 10:21 AM
i'd like to know more about the villain. have you seen him make this min check raise before? from a lot of opponents, it means he has a monster and wants to get more money in, but is afraid that a bigger raise will knock you out.

also, it would be interesting to hear your plan if he keeps betting out after the raise here. naturally you don't have odds to call trying to catch an ace, so i would only make this flat call against a player where i feel confident i could get a good read on their turn and river bets and make the right decision then.

the trap you don't want to fall into, of course, is calling off reasonable sized bets on the turn and river because you don't know where he's at.

bunky9590
03-29-2004, 10:27 AM
he didn't get out of line much, but would call a reasonable PF bet with say 89s to catch and break someone. (aka solid player) I was not planning on calling a pot sized turn bet as he may have also flopped a set (which he did). His min raise could mean monster or could be a feeler raise. When the A hit he put me on AK and figured I would get it in then, (well he was half right)

But as far as calling down against a solid player with a big stack, who knows the game. I can muck to a big turn bet and not lose sleep and pick a nicer spot to break him if I fell the AA is no good.

From circumstance I had'nt been able to raise alot PF, due to lack of quality raising cards so he had to put me on something good. But, when the turn hit the money was destined to go in.

1800GAMBLER
03-29-2004, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was not planning on calling a pot sized turn bet as he may have also flopped a set (which he did).

[/ QUOTE ]

After players min checkraise the flop on you do they usually do anything other than big bet the turn? That's your reason for folding.

edit: you made old hand at the same time as i made Pooh-Bah /images/graemlins/smile.gif