PDA

View Full Version : Going all in with a full house

webiggy
03-29-2004, 05:36 AM
Hi gang,

Lately I've been experimenting with NL sng tourney's on UB as a cheap way to feel my way through various strategies.

Today, I drew TT midway through and I'm on an average stack. I open raised 100T and was called by a player with about the same stack size. Flop came QQT, so I open with a smallish bet (50T) then my opponent puts in about half his stack, at which point I go all in. We flip, and as suspected, my opponent shows AQ. Unfortunately, the turn and river come 55 and I get counterfieted. Ugh.

Was this just bad luck or a bad all in move?

TylerD
03-29-2004, 06:57 AM
Bad luck, no way on God's Earth would I ever lay this down. Ever.

Sheriff Fatman
03-29-2004, 07:02 AM
Nothing wrong with the play for me, just bad luck.

Its easy to put him on the Queen after his raise but unless he's got QQ or QT (both unlikely given the passive play to date and your holding 2 of the tens) then you've got the best of it going in.

Sure, there are still outs available as you saw but your hand will hold up more often than not.

Sheriff

Simon Diamond
03-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Bad luck in the extreme.

For the record though, you cannot argue with the other guys play, the flop is pretty good for his hand and no wonder he put his stack in there. I wish I had his sort of luck. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Simon

NotMitch
03-29-2004, 11:54 AM
The all in is fine, what was the point of the flop bet?

citizenkn
03-29-2004, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The all in is fine, what was the point of the flop bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to make a small flop bet when I hit a jackpot hand like this. It's a good test to see what kind of action you might get, since people will usually view it as a weak steal attempt. Also, it encourages people with a flush or straight draw to stay in the pot....if they hit their hand, you'll clean them out; if they don't hit their hand, at least you've built the pot a little before they fold at the end.

My favorite example: I limped with 2-2 in MP early in a $5 tourney at Stars. Five others joined in. Flop came A-A-2. Checked to me, I put in a small bet. LP puts in a pot-size raise, button cold calls. Folded to me, I push all in, the other two players call. They each have an ace, and I nearly triple up....