PDA

View Full Version : A simple hand: K5s on the button, flop trips

bisonbison
03-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (8 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG folds.

River: (10 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

The standard (and I mean written in stone) play seems to be calling the flop and raising the turn. Since that's the way everyone does it, I thought it would be good to not do it.

Do the times it gets me more action make up for the times it kills the action on the flop? I'm trying to rid my game of slowplaying. So we're clear, I would always bet this first in, even in the SB.

Joe Tall
03-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Trips can be very vulnerable; you played it fine.

Nice hand,
Joe Tall

DonWaade
03-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Because it is trips and not a set, I think you made the right play. If a set, I call and raise in accordance with your caveat. I think you played it perfectly.