PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

Megan The Minx
03-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Hello everybody. I am new to poker, I like to watch it on television and now feel ready to have a go at it myself. Can anybody recommend a good place to start?

uuDevil
03-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Megan,

Ok. The standard advice is this:

Sign up at one of the major sites and play for play money and/or microstakes (down to US $.01/.02). Off hand, Ultimate Bet and Paradise Poker come to mind, but do a search for more recommendations. The idea is to get a lot of cheap experience.

Read some books. Assuming you want to play Hold'em, which is by far the most popular game, "Winning Low Limit Holdem" by Lee Jones is good for beginners. After that, "Theory of Poker" and "Holdem Poker for Advanced Players" by David Sklansky will be essential.

The micro-limit and small stakes forums here are good for strategy advice. For help with basic concepts, post here (Beginners). The Zoo (internet forum), which you've already been to, is good for general internet and site questions, but beware, it is a wild place....

Most, though perhaps not all, posters who have been around awhile will give good advice-- you've already met Lorinda. Watch out for SPAM.

If you get into it, there will be much more....

Have fun, take care.

OnlinePokerCoach
03-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Read the right books before you start playing. Online play is a great place to learn because very low stakes are available.

I disagree with the other poster about playing for play money and super-micro stakes. Play for play money only to get used to the software if necessary. Otherwise, since it is for nothing of value, play at such tables will not be anywhere near realistic. The only exception may be play money heads-up, where ego is sometimes at stake and folding your hand will not mean waiting for others to play out; so play can be somewhat realistic depending on your opponent.

I think EmpirePoker is the best site right now, and it is the biggest (along with its sister sites), so there is a ton of game selection. It simply has the softest competition.

Best regards,
OnlinePokerCoach.com

RydenStoompala
03-29-2004, 08:45 AM
1) Read. Go to Amazon or your favorite book store and load up. Start with something like Lee's Winning Low Limit and move up to Sklansky(Texas Holdem for Advanced Players).
2) Get some basic experience on-line. Play in the 50 cent- $1 games. Pick a big site like Party or Ultimate or whatever and get your feet wet.
3) Play in real card rooms whenever you can, starting at the 3-6 or 4-8 levels, moving to 5-10 and then middle limits when you know what you're doing. You will know what you're doing when you know what you're doing. Trust me; that will make sense later. You normally need a LOT of time at low limits before you have the skills to work your way up. Or, you may already be an expert in which case I am writing something that you find enormously funny.

Megan The Minx
03-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys for the kind advice. I have already played in real life card rooms, but I would like to play in my own living room.

I will have to try and get hold of the books mentioned, I think one of my friends might have copies, because he has been playing for quite a while.

easypete
03-29-2004, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Start with something like Lee's Winning Low Limit and move up to Sklansky(Texas Holdem for Advanced Players).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice, but I think it's a big jump from Lee to Sklansky (It rhymes, but still ... big jump).

I would, in between the two books, check out Ken Warren's book "Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold'em". I know it was meant primarily for playing the 1,1,4,8 tables, but I think it's one of the best books (besides Sklansky) for playing post flop. Makes you think about what you are doing much more with the end of chapter Q&A's.

Also, Turbo Texas Hold'em was a good learning tool.

Playing the 0.50/1.00 can cost a little money when starting out. I would play the 0.02/0.04 or the 0.05/0.10 tables at poker stars. Sure you won't really win any money there, but you won't loose much either. If I'm working on a new strategy for getting more aggressive or drastically changing my starting hand requirements, I go back to the 0.05/0.10 tables to experiment.

Hope this helps some.

- EP

Steven Punk
03-29-2004, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys for the kind advice. I have already played in real life card rooms, but I would like to play in my own living room.

I will have to try and get hold of the books mentioned, I think one of my friends might have copies, because he has been playing for quite a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

For anyone wondering I am NOT Megan.

Sheriff Fatman
03-30-2004, 03:32 AM
Hi Megan

I didn't realise you'd started a new thread here asking this. I posted a response in the thread on the Zoo but its now been buried. In case you've not seen it, the link is here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=601963&page=4&view=co llapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1)

Regards

Sheriff

Megan The Minx
03-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Thank you Sheriff, I have read your response. I shall most likely follow some of that advice when it comes to signing up time.

lostinthought
03-30-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I would, in between the two books, check out Ken Warren's book "Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold'em". I know it was meant primarily for playing the 1,1,4,8 tables, but I think it's one of the best books (besides Sklansky) for playing post flop. Makes you think about what you are doing much more with the end of chapter Q&A's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Anything I've read from Warren was junk.. I would point out some errors, but I got rid of his book promptly...

Jones, TOP, and HEPFAP should be sufficient material for awhile, although I have heard 2+2 was going to release a low limit hold em book soon.
I would pick that up when it comes out..

thirddan
03-30-2004, 05:46 PM
I agree, i bought Warren's original holdem book, Winnerg Guide to Texas Holdem, and i couldn't win at all...I would get WLLH by Jones and get your feet wet. I would also get the Ed Miller 2+2 book when it comes out, but its for advanced players playing low limits (interesting topic)...Good Luck...

pretender2k
03-31-2004, 06:04 AM
Depending on the limit you want to play I would say Empire if you can start right out at .5/1. If you want to start at a lower level I would say Stars and UB are good. Mkae sure you get a sign-up bonus where ever you go. You can PM me for the refer-a-friend bonus on UB. If you are going to another site to start ask how to get a bonus here.

easypete
03-31-2004, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anything I've read from Warren was junk.. I would point out some errors, but I got rid of his book promptly...

Jones, TOP, and HEPFAP should be sufficient material for awhile...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I had the same feelings about Jones' book - I couldn't even get through it. I guess it depends on when you read it... Warren was one of my first books I read. Jones, one of the last (I think that's why I felt it was too simplistic of a strategy). To each his own.

I still think it's a big jump from Jones to Sklansky (which I don't think Warren's book is even in the ballpark). There has to be a middle ground somewhere. Maybe the new Low Limit book from 2+2? Maybe David Ross's book (when he writes it).

CardCuda
03-31-2004, 08:54 PM
Interesting reviews and thoughts on this thread. I first started playing the play money games at Paradise, Pacific, and party. My first book I purchased (are ya sittin' down)...Poker for dummies /images/graemlins/wink.gif (Yes I was a lost soul back then!

Flop fits or I fold was the advice, worked for the play money tables good enough.... Bought in for $300.00 @ Paradise played the .50-1.00 tables (lowest limit at that time). Down to lifesupport levels within 3 weeks. Re-loaded with an additional $200. Read 2 more books ....prepare yourself ...

Play Poker like the Pros (Hellmuth)
Winners Guide to Texas Hold'em (Warren)

Interestingly enough I began to actually post some wins.. Registered here, read, studied, browsed, bought 2 more books. ... HPFAP and Inside the Poker Mind (Feeney) Haven't looked back since...

As a poker player beginning, intermediate, advanced what-ever this forum is a gold-mine, lifesaver, whatever ya want to name it. Take it slow apply what you learn here.

Also recommended reading IMO:

The Art of War (Tzu) (I really liked this book applies to most everything in life)
The Theory of Poker
The Psychology of Poker

thirddan
03-31-2004, 11:06 PM
Theory of Poker was and still is the most valuable book i've read... I imagine that Ed Millers book will be the new bible for beating low limit games, but i think it is like low limit for advanced players and not meant for beginners...also from davidross' posts i think his book will be more anectdote and less strategy, should be intersting read though if he ever does it...

M Pizzle
04-06-2004, 04:11 AM
I'm about to start out myself. I've been playing play money extensively for the past few days, and I have the basic idea down.

I play really tightly, and aggressivly when I think I have the best hand. I understand the idea behind pot odds and chasing, and how to use it (at least I think) effectively.

Is it safe for me to start playing micro limits (I'm thinking .5/1) at the same time as starting on the slanksy books, or is it neccessary for me to thouroughly research the basic books before even attempting money poker?

If so, whats the smallest bankroll I can start out with and be safe from hitting bottom? I know so much of this is relative, but I just want a general idea. I don't have a ton of money so I can't just toss 100 bucks in the bank and hope for the best.

Phil Van Sexton
04-06-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it safe for me to start playing micro limits (I'm thinking .5/1) at the same time as starting on the slanksy books?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's cheaper to buy a book and spend a week reading it. I like the Lee Jones book for beginners, but really any introductory book is good enough to beat the 50/1. Don't read more than 1 book at first....multiple books will just confuse you. Pick one book and execute it to the letter.

[ QUOTE ]
If so, whats the smallest bankroll I can start out with and be safe from hitting bottom?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are a winning player, the standard is 300BB, or $300 for the 50/1 game. If you cant beat the game, no backroll is big enough.

With this in mind, I would throw $50 in pokerstars and try to beat the microlimit games (.01/.02, .10/.20, etc). Once you build this up $150 or so, move to Party and play 50/1. However, if your backroll drops below $100, be ready to take $50 back to stars and start over. Good luck.

M Pizzle
04-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm gonna go pick up the Lee book today.

LargeCents
04-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I agree with the book recommendations, and starting out at the smallest stakes, until you get used to playing.

But, the best way to learn poker "on the cheap" is to play in the various "Freeroll" tournaments circulating around the various online cardrooms. You can sign up for free, and there are real $$ prizes for the top spots. I have been playing the daily freeroll at PokerRoom.com for months, but now feel that I've graduated beyond this stage in my poker development. I've got some nice cash in prize money, with zero invested, besides time.

PM me if you want some simple strategy advice on this particular freeroll, or pokerroom.com in general. I'll be glad to help.

--LargeCents

M Pizzle
04-06-2004, 05:21 PM
I didn't even know about freeroll tournaments. I'm definately gonna catch the ones I can, but they're at 8am and 3pm(central). I have class at 8 am MWF and I'll be on the bus home at 3 pm every day but tuesday, so I'd only be able to do 3 in a week. Are there other freerolls I should know about that I could fit in my schedule better?