PDA

View Full Version : WSOP $650 satellite tourney, maybe I could have gotten away from AA

sdplayerb
03-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Semi-bad beat, but starting to thinking maybe i could have gotten away from it.

Level 3 of 30 minute levels (25-50), about 10 minutes to level 4 (50-100). I have 2,445 (started with 2,500).
The chipleader in the tourney is UTG+1 (9 handed) at over 8,500.
I don't think he is very good, has been loose and hit some big hands, including limping UTG with Q4s, calling a raise then hitting two pair to get a ton of chips off the then chipleader. So I want a chance to hit big against him (never a good thing to plan).

So he limps for 50, next player does too (i think he is pretty good, says is going to bellagio tourneys), in am in the middle with AA, raise to 200. I considered 250, but know if he hits anything he'll pay me off.

They both call.

Qh 9s 7d is the flop. so a draw for JT.
They both check, I bet 450 into a 675 chip pot.
Chipleader pushes allin.
So I have 1,795 with limits soon going to 50-100 if I were to fold somehow.
Obviously I called. He had 99, and I am done.

Now, could I have possibly gotten away from this? At first seems no.
But what could he have? Not QQ. Maybe JT? Maybe Q9 for him (actually what I was most worried about).
AQ, maybe..but wouldn't he have raised preflop?
Same with KQ.
And those last two are why I am contemplating maybe I could have gotten away from it. I can't come up with a hand I had beat in this instance.

It was probably right, but I kind of knew I was beat. With how many chips do you contemplate folding?
I am also asking since don't get to play for so long with 50x stacks..and AA can get you in trouble with such a stack as it can be win a small hand or lose it all.

I can't be too mad, if my KJ earlier today hadn't cracked AA, it wouldn't matter.

Thanks

SD

FletchJr.
03-29-2004, 12:17 AM
I think you should of raised more preflop or folded to his check raise. I don't think 4X the bb is enough when the blinds are that small and you have 2 limpers in already. If you raise more like 500, that gives him incorrect odds to flop his set. just my 2 cents.
also, when he check raises you, do you really think your AA are good? i would of laid them down post flop. but I didn't see how aggressive he was. He could of easily had 99 or 77. when the blinds are that small i see people limpin with TT-AA all the time. It's possible he even could of had QQ. I really don't like your call once he check raises you all in.

Girazze
03-29-2004, 01:56 AM
Seems you flipped yourself from a commanding position into a defensive position by not betting more preflop. A big bet would have certainly made him think less of his 99 and possibly fold. He may have still called your bet but he would have been thinking defensive at that time. Had you bet bigger and he called, you would have definitely gotten a signal from him when you bet postflop and he pushed. Had he not gotten his trips, he would have most likely folded on your postflop bet. His all-in, to me, was a definite clue that he had either 77 or 99. I'm pretty new at this game but that is my thought process on that hand. Hope it is understandable.

DeathDonkey
03-29-2004, 02:55 AM
If I were him, I would make the same checkraise on the flop with a single pair, and maybe JT if I thought my opponent would fold. There is nothing here to conclusively put him on 77 or 99. If you had gotten it all in preflop and he still flopped the set you wouldn't question your play; this changes nothing.

-DeathDonkey

sdplayerb
03-29-2004, 03:52 AM
JT was one of the hands I thought possible.
He was a huge, loose, semi-aggressive stack. A loss wouldn't crush him, so he could try to use his stack on me.
And based on this, I could see him having me on AK and making the move, as you said, with other pairs.

Per what you point out, I don't think it was as cut and dry as the other two say. Especially due to relative stack sizes.

Thanks

TheArtist
03-30-2004, 09:00 AM
If he is thinking at all he won't push all in with JT. Since you made such a huge bet, he should realized that you have a strong hand and may not lay down to his check raise. If you made like a small bet, then i think it is possible he has JT there. I mean I would certainly push all in there with JT if i know u lay down AK or no hand when u bet small trying to win the pot. But in this case you are not. Your big betting indicate you have a big hand and might not wiling to fold.

Alot of loose aggressive player will push all in here with QJ or QT here also. Many times I raise with AA to QQ, and the flop comes like 832 or something, and some agressive player will check raise me all in with a hand like A8. So you must have a really good read on your opponnent to lay down AA here.

TheArtist

mackthefork
03-30-2004, 09:55 AM
I think you know the answer is yes you could have got away after the flop, but having said this it sounds like this player overbets his hands too much so it would be softish to fold.

I don't think you could have done anything preflop because he sounds the type to call an all-in raise preflop with 99, so you would have busted out anyway.

Guess it's one of those things. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Senor Choppy
03-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Without the info you gave on the player I would fold on the flop, however against an opponent that seems ready to gamboh it up, I might call here, KQ, AQ, and JT are definitely possible, especially because he's the chip leader, even T8. Only two of those hands make you a big favorite, there are a lot than make you a better than 10-1 dog when you're behind though.

I want to coinflip early in these and have a lot of chips if possible, otherwise moving on to another tourney or ring game. You're not 50/50 to win this one, but you're getting some odds to call, not sure if they're enough though. If the amount of time you spend playing these isn't relevant, then I think it swings to a clear fold.

sdplayerb
03-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes, his play thus far was why I called. But I agree even based upon that, in the long run I can't be far ahead.

As for just playing another tourney, this was a $650 buyin final round to get into the WSOP (i got in via a satellite)..so this was not some $20 tourney.

SD

osucbj04
03-30-2004, 11:15 PM
I think those who say they would have folded postflop are only saying that because they would have been right.

Come one, this guy is loose, agressive, and a card chaser. I'd love to sit with him, and I wouldn't try to raise to scare him out preflop. I want his chips, and I know 95% I am getting them from him, if I have AA.

I would put him on 9-7, q-4, a-9, a-q, before I put him on 9's. Furthermore, had I had KK in his position, I would have gone all in postflop. No one mentioned that hand. JJ is a possibility too. Only one overcard, and he might get you to lay it down if you have it.

Senor Choppy
03-31-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for just playing another tourney, this was a $650 buyin final round to get into the WSOP (i got in via a satellite)..so this was not some $20 tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really thought about the buy-in amount before. What's a large amount of money to me might be very little to someone else. I'm guessing people are going to be VERY selective about when they put all their chips at risk in a tournament like this, despite their willingness to see flops with any two. Having said that this is probably a clear fold (although I've never played in a tournament with a buy-in over $200, so what do I know?)