PDA

View Full Version : My Results on $10+1 Party SNGs using AleoMagus's strategy

Tom Bayes
03-28-2004, 01:42 PM
A few days back, I read the thread started by AleoMagus regarding strategy for $10 SNGs on Party. I had stopped playing SNGs at Party and played at Stars instead because I preferred the PokerStars structure. However, I thought that it would be beneficial for me to try to adjust for the Party structure, since the opposition is weaker on Party and you can play SNGs quicker.

So I am conducting an experiment playing $10 Party SNGs where I am, to the most part, sticking with AleoMagus's strategy, occasionally deviating if I feel the conditions at a particular table warrant. In particular, I think I am benefitting from avoiding trouble hands like AJ and KQ in the first few levels.

Here are the results of my first 20 SNGs (I know, small sample!)

1st 2; 2nd 4; 3rd 4; 4th 4; 5th 2; 7th 1; 8th 1; 9th 1; 10th 1.
So I've been in the money 10/20 (50%) and I am up $80 ($4/SNG). ROI=36.4%

I still see room for improvement. HU is a weakness (only 2 firsts out of 10 money finishes). I also have bubbled 4/20. I do play a little more aggressively on or near the bubble, since I find that you can steal a lot in this situation. Maybe I need to settle down a bit?

I'll keep tracking and post later to see how my results hold up. If anyone else is doing a similar thing, I'd be interested in how you are doing (plus I can avoid your table!)

AleoMagus
03-28-2004, 02:17 PM
I'll be expecting my cut in the mail

Seriously though, I think that's great.
Truth be told, I'm surprised that you are getting a return that good. You must be able to play pretty well already.

When I was writing it all down, I think that my main concern was being able to turn losing players into break even or small winners. To see that you are getting an ROI this good (even with such a small sample) is excelent but it indicates to me that you are also handling a lot of more tricky situations well - especially in the final 5.

I expected that players who would play this way would be getting a lot of 4-5th place finishes because I am telling them to be so conservative there and I thought it might limit their profit. To anybody reading this now, that doesn't mean I take it back, because it was designed to keep players out of trouble, not to make you the 'most possible'.

The Heads up results do seem like a problem, but then we are only talking about 20 sngs here. It's easy to flip 6 coins and only get two heads.

Oh well. This is great to hear.
Thanks for the feedback and results
I'll be interested to hear how this pans out over a longer term.

Regards
Brad S

benfranklin
03-28-2004, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is great to hear.
Thanks for the feedback and results
I'll be interested to hear how this pans out over a longer term.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started playing based on this strategy. With an even smaller sample (probably meaningless at this point), out of five games I have 2 wins, a third, a fourth, and a sixth.

Brad, I have summarized that thread into a 2 page outline, that I use for review and reference. I would like to e-mail it to you and the other contributors to that thread for comments, with the intention of making the final draft available to those on this forum. I believe your e-mail is on your Profile, so I will take the liberty of sending it to you if that is OK.

Others I would like to contact include CrisBrown, Losing_all, and NotMitch. If your e-mail isn't on your Profile and you would like to comment, please PM me.

Thanks to all.

Mike B.

adam61
03-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Here's my results using AleoMagus's systems but I'm probably a much newer player than these other guys. I think I'm making bad decisions in 2 places. One when 4-5 players are left I'm usually on the short stack or a fairly large stack (based on whether I've played a couple hands like 66 44 AQ and folded after 1 bet and a raise, or I've won 1-2 big hands and have like 2k chips). I tend to play very very tight when I have like 2000-2500 chips with 4-5 left. This has gotten me first a couple times but backfired others where the short stacks doubled up a couple times and all of a sudden I have 1700 chips and everyone else has more. Or if I have a short stack with 4-5 left (say T400 or so) I'm forced to play aggressively and end up busting out one of the first 3 times I go all in trying to get back into the tournament

Second problem is early on I think I'm over aggressive with AKs. It has tripled me up in level 1 a few times but it's also busted me out of maybe 5 of these tournaments.

I think the difference in me and some of these previous posters is that where the system says use instincts, mine are weak and they have some experience that kicks in. Well here comes the stats.

Total 112 NL SNG $10+1 at Party
Flops Seen=14.8%
Aggression Factor=1.94
Profit=$28
ROI=2.27%
Average Finish=4.80
Money Finishes=34%
First Place=11%
Second Place=12%
Third Place=11%
Fourth Place=15%
Fifth Place=14%
Sixth Place=8%
Seventh Place=9%
Eighth Place=10%
Ninth Place=6%
Tenth=4%

Any tips are always appreciated.

AleoMagus
03-28-2004, 03:20 PM
That's fine with me anyways.

If anything, I'd like to expand that kind of outline, not condense it any further.

Also, I think that there are a lot of other players who's suggestions would be incredibly valuable. Just a couple other important names are Bozeman and William (despite not being a party player to my knowledge). Aw geez, there are so many others when I really think about who's posts have helped me shape that initial strategy.

Regards,
Brad S

sublime
03-28-2004, 05:03 PM
AM,

Would this strategy be sufficient for a home tourney?

t_perkin
03-28-2004, 05:15 PM
Depends on the structure of your home tourny. If it is exactly the same as that of a Party 10+1 then it should be sufficient.
Although it does of course mostly depend on your opponents.
If your opponents are regular WSOP players then using an ABC strategy of any kind is not likely to be successful /images/graemlins/smile.gif
AM's strategy fits the players at Party 10+1

Tim

sublime
03-28-2004, 05:30 PM
I am not 100% sure of competition, but I can say that the person who invited me finished 4th in one and reads "poker for idiots"

I am pretty sure there wont be a shark in the crowd and if there is, I can hopefully spot him early on.

Premise
03-28-2004, 06:00 PM
Where is this thread located, I would like to read it...Thanks

benfranklin
03-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Click on "search" at the top, and do a search by poster in this forum on "AleoMagus"

Tom Bayes
04-19-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm updating 71 tourneys into tracking my results on Party $10+1. I posted my results after 20 and almost immediately went into a funk that lasted about 20 tourneys-not many moneys and they were all 2nds and 3rds. ROI dipped to barely over 20%. But I've been on an absolute tear the last week or so-I've moneyed in 16 of my last 24 SNGs and I've won 5 of my last 10 (including both I played tonight).

So after 71 tourneys: Up $359 ($5.06 per tourney), ROI 46.0%

In the money 35/71 (49.3%)
10 1st, 14 2nd, 11 3rd, 8 4th, 9 5th, 19 6-10th

I know I'm in a hot streak right now, but hope to keep my ROI up around 35-40%. Shorthanded still needs some work, but I've been reaching the winner's circle a lot more recently. Wins are sure great for ROI and my Party balance /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks to AleoMagus for his strategy tips. I must admit that I while use it as a guide, particularly for early level play, I try not to play like a robot. I try to adjust for the table dynamics (some tables are guppy bowls, some have 4-5 tough players).