PDA

View Full Version : Non-hold'em tournaments on TV?

TylerD
03-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Do you think we'll ever see one? Perhaps as a DVD extra? I know NL Hold'em is a great format for TV tournaments but I think a PL Omaha or Stud game would be interesting for a change.

benfranklin
03-28-2004, 02:05 PM
I read someplace recently that ESPN is planning expanded coverage of the WSOP this year, including some of the non-HE events prior to the Championship.

lunchmeat
03-28-2004, 05:54 PM
I think Omaha would be too confusing for the typical tv viewer. We probably won't see split pot games either because it could be seen as anti-climactic with many pots being divvied up between 2 or more players.

On the other hand, I don't see any reason why games like 7 Stud and especially 5 card draw wouldn't make for good tv. Most everyone knows how to play draw, and there'd be plenty of drama with players trying to read each others hands at the showdown like a scene out of a western.

Nottom
03-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Except draw is incredibly boring to watch, I do think stud would be interesting though

astroglide
03-28-2004, 06:51 PM
omaha is too confusing, and stud isn't exciting enough.

Sincere
03-28-2004, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Non-hold'em tournaments on TV?

Do you think we'll ever see one?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a good non-hold'em tournament on TV right now. Its't the NCAA tournament. Other non-hold'em tourney's on TV: Pool, NBA Playoffs, NFL Playoffs......just kiddin ya man.

TylerD
03-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Very droll.

TimTimSalabim
03-28-2004, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
omaha is too confusing, and stud isn't exciting enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Omaha would definitely confuse the mass audience. Hell, it confuses me sometimes.

Stud, though, I think could have mass appeal. It was, until the recent holdem surge, the most popular game played among the mass of home-game players. Granted, it's not as exciting as hold'em, but at least it's a change of pace. I'm getting a little tired of watching holdem on TV myself. (Never thought I'd say that!).

astroglide
03-28-2004, 11:57 PM
HERE COMES FOURTH STREET...OH! IT'S THE TEN OF SPADES! SINCE HIS UPCARD IS THE 9 OF SPADES HE CAN BET AS IF HE HAS A FLUSH DRAW! LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS ON THE NEXT 3 DEALS.

seriously, stud has absolutely nothing comparable to the flop and the lack of community cards hurts bad.

spamuell
03-29-2004, 06:10 AM
I think NL 5-stud would be interesting and exciting for most viewers. This is probably the only game that is short enough to hold attention and not too complicated, but as far as I know, it's hardly played any more.

Alternatively, what about limit triple draw lowball with the sevens rule and no check-raising? Sounds like a pretty action packed show to me.

TylerD
03-29-2004, 08:37 AM
By "Omaha" I meant Omaha-Hi (we don't play much Hi-Lo in Europe) which is, I guess, quite confusing but not as much as Hi-Lo. I think it would make a good extra on DVD though.

I think non-board games such as draw would make for v e r y boring viewing.

NL 5-stud would be good, is this still a WSOP game?

spamuell
03-29-2004, 10:41 AM
I think non-board games such as draw would make for v e r y boring viewing.

I don't know if this reply was directed at me specifically or in general, but I would hope that someone else from the UK would have recognised the sarcasm without my having to add an inane emoticon. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't think that 5-stud is still a WSOP game. I checked the schedule (http://www.harrahs.com/wsop/tournamentsched.html) and it doesn't seem to be there, although I may have missed it.

Sincere
03-29-2004, 02:06 PM
I know /images/graemlins/grin.gif

luckycharms
03-30-2004, 05:47 PM
I definitely think Omaha would be cool to watch. It's akin to Texas, so it'd be easier for viewers to catch on. No way would stud ever be interesting enough... way too drawn out. If they have WSOBlackJack on TV, though, anything can happen

TimTimSalabim
03-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Can you imagine VVP calling an Omaha tournament?

"Mike, I can't believe it... he just got dealt four Aces! What? He's throwing them away?"

"Uh, Vince, uh... never mind".

Easy E
04-01-2004, 11:17 AM
http://tinyurl.com/27q2s

If they actually do film and use these, there is omaha, pot-limit, razz, stud and more!

That would be interesting to see