PDA

View Full Version : AK no pair hand.

Acesover8s
03-27-2004, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure what I think of my play here. $2-$4 NL. 1 limper in EP and I ($190) make it $16 to go with AKo. Player in LMP ($600) cold calls, its heads up to the flop.

This player is tricky, too tricky. He is going to put me on big cards here and try to purchase it on the flop. So, I decide immediately to check-raise him on the flop no matter what comes.

Flop comes T45 rainbow. I check. He bets $35, and I make it $120 to go.

Unfortunately, he calls.

The turn is a queen. I check, he moves all in and I call.

What do you think?

gavrilo
03-28-2004, 12:20 AM
If you are gonna call the turn, why not just push yourself??

Acesover8s
03-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Thoughtful answer:

Because I thought at the time that if I checked he would continue to bluff at the pot.

Truthful answer:

I was very drunk and floored by the fact that he even made the call. I was going to give up on the hand until I realized that it was on Party and I only had 70$ish left rather than $270.

How about thoughts on the flop play, and your plan for the rest of the hand. I am talking about a player who min-raises UTG with 97o, and calls a $40 reraise, and takes middle pair to the river.

muzungu
03-28-2004, 12:48 AM
A8-
I don't like this at all. Dunno why, but some people have this idea that the way to play against a LAG player is to get aggressive back at them with nothing.

You said in your player profile in your second post that he'd call a lot preflop with junk and then call down with middle pair the rest of the way. Well, that's what he's gonna do to you here. He has J5 or some nonsense and is about to pick up a $400ish pot with it.

Just check/fold the flop if you're sure that he'll reraise a bet from you, and wait for a flop that hits you to put your guys in the middle. Boring and weak-tight, but profitable.

-muz

sdplayerb
03-28-2004, 03:03 AM
If he is this bad, why not wait until you have a real hand, and break him then?
If you are not going to go away, why not check-raise to 80 on the flop, then pushin on the turn.

gavrilo
03-28-2004, 04:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thoughtful answer:

Because I thought at the time that if I checked he would continue to bluff at the pot.

How about thoughts on the flop play, and your plan for the rest of the hand. I am talking about a player who min-raises UTG with 97o, and calls a $40 reraise, and takes middle pair to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dislike your flop play.. you have ace high and if he's likely to hold anything, waiting for a hand where you have atleast a pair would probably be the better route.