PDA

View Full Version : When do you know it just isn't your night?

Lexander
03-27-2004, 11:00 PM
I don't mean step losses, or any of those other gadgets. I mean at what point during a rough evening do you just know that the cards are not smiling on you?

For me, it is usually some silly beat that isn't that likely, but isn't quite in the realm of 'bad beats'. For me, the biggest sign is when somebody else ends up all-in on a hand with you holding the same pair and they catch a flush. At that point I pretty much figure that it might be time to just pack it in for the night, go get me some food and watch a movie.

jdl22
03-28-2004, 12:41 AM
This could be a good, a Jeff Foxworthy "It might not be your night if..." type thread.

I'm going with being dealt a big hand like queens twice in a row and losing both.

That's when the cards are talking.

It's really time for me to quit when I win a pot by putting a big bet in thinking I have a straight and a few hands later I look at the history and I was apparently bluffing because I only had four in a row. When the card reading skills are this bad the eyes need a break.

baggins
03-28-2004, 02:59 AM
when you bet for value but turn over your cards to learn you either misread the board or your hand (happened to me twice in 5 years).

when you call a few times on the river because you really think you have the bettor beat, and find out otherwise... and then fold a hand that would have won a pot and get shown the bluff.

when you have to ask what game you're playing.

when you reraise with KTo after a raise UTG from a rock, simply because it's the best starters you've seen in hours.

Gabe
03-28-2004, 08:03 PM
When it's about an hour or so before my quitting time and I'm down about a rack and a half. I know I'll have to hit a +3 sigma hour not to book a loss.

Mike Gallo
03-28-2004, 09:08 PM
I mean at what point during a rough evening do you just know that the cards are not smiling on you?

The cards never smile at me only players, cocktail waitresses and dealers do. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I play until I cannot think straight.

onegymrat
03-30-2004, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When do you know when it just isn't your night?

[/ QUOTE ]
When I don't know what my opponents are playing.

Thats Interesting!
03-30-2004, 06:24 AM
When you start asking that exact question! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

tommy2
03-30-2004, 12:10 PM
When I start to think all my drawing hands won't hit and all my TPTK hands will be sucked out on. As soon as that feeling of dread starts to creep in, I know that I will be beating myself...so I quit.