PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Study Break? Advisable?

Warik
03-27-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm just a few sessions away from having the BR to make the transition from $1/$2 to $2/$4 and am wondering if it would likely be beneficial to COMPLETELY stop playing for a week for purposes of study.

I was thinking of taking a week off after hitting the necessary BR and re-reading WLLH and studying TOP from cover to cover.

Is that in my best interests or would it actually be better if played half as much as I usually do and study the rest of the time?

I think that there might be a significant difference between Party 1/2 and 2/4 that I should expand my poker knowledge to contend with and avoid starting out with my BR headed in the wrong direction. I've been doing very well these past few weeks thanks to WLLH and this forum and don't want to screw things up.

So, am I better off taking a study break or doing both?

Thanks.

BottlesOf
03-27-2004, 07:41 PM
I think taking time to periodically study and re-read is a very good idea. I also feel like you are more than ready for party 2/4.

BaronVonCP
03-27-2004, 09:14 PM
How can this be bad?

umdpoker
03-27-2004, 11:23 PM
imo, there is not much of a difference in overall beatability. 1/2 seems tighter preflop but slightly worse postflop. since the rake is lower %-wise at 2/4, you can probably make the same bb/100 hands as you did at 1/2.

chesspain
03-28-2004, 03:14 AM
I have found that the Party 2/4 games have usually been looser and no more aggressive than the 1/2 games. However, table selection is still key. Indeed, this morning I moved through four different 2/4 tables, staying at each one for only 1-2 orbits, because of how tight each game was playing. But that was pretty unusual.

Dylan Wade
03-28-2004, 03:39 AM
I don't think it's a good idea to read too much new material in transition between limits. The way you play right now may be winning at the lower limit, and it will probably work at the next limit. When you new things, it may not help you at first. You may lose if it's a really drastic change in your thinking...I just wouldn't really pick this as a time to move up limits. I'd rather take off a week, and stick at the same limit so that you know you have the BR to sustain losses.

It doesn't really matter though. It depends on how you finance poker.

Saborion
03-28-2004, 08:16 AM
Describe tight.
At least twice per orbit it's folded to the BB, or someone raise and steal the blinds. You can't spot one "loose enough" player. It often doesn't get past the flop if there is one, and if it does, there's a big chance it ends at the turn?

Are games like that beatable? There are at least 2-3 players you know are worse than you, but they still aren't that loose. Even if they are, it's still better to leave and find a softer table since that'll make a lot of difference in terms of hourly rate. No need to stick around at tight LL tables purely for learning how to beat them, since you're likely to learn a bit about on the way to the higher limits?

chesspain
03-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Saborion,

I'm not quite sure as to the point of your post. Disagreement with me? Education? Sarcasm? Agreement with me?

My point was simply to inform Warik that the 2/4 tables should be as easy or easier for him to beat, assuming he uses reasonable table selection.

benfranklin
03-28-2004, 12:40 PM
I am just starting to play online, so don't know the differences between those games. But a third option that occurs to me is to stay at the lower level for another week or two, cut back on playing time to maybe half of what you doing now, and use that time to review books, notes, favorite 2+2 threads, etc. That way, as you update your strategy, you can implement it immediately.

Saborion
03-28-2004, 01:57 PM
I was asking for you description of a tight table, nothing more, nothing less.

Warik
03-28-2004, 03:46 PM
The reason I thought this might be "bad" is that I would go completely without playing for a week. Practice and study probably shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

As for sticking with $1/$2 for another week, I don't like the idea... I want to move up in limits as fast as possible - not because I'm impatient, but because my attitude for the past two weeks has been "I'm only playing this game because it's the safe way to build my BR." I've had two downswings in that time (50BB and 75BB this week) and they did not affect my playstyle in the slightest.

I think the main problem with moving up in limits is losing initially and getting the mindset of "oh no, all the hard work to build that BR and now I'm down to $1/$2 BR levels!" and then playing more loosely to make it back. If I've been able to avoid tilt during these downswings, then perhaps when the 100 BB swing comes, I won't see it as "$400" - I'll see it as just what it is - 100 BB.

After reading all the comments, STUDY is definitely an important part of a poker education and so is PLAYING... so I think I will do both. I'm going to move up to $2/$4 when the appropriate BR comes along and then just play shorter sessions and use the balance of the time to study. That way I can apply some of the things I've learned (and re-learned) the following day and see what's going on.

When I get to $3/$6 I think I will be playing well past the $5/$10 required BR however for purposes of study. I think it will be a much harder game and thus need more edjumackashun to beat.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

nykenny
03-28-2004, 04:41 PM
take a break if u feel poker burnout or just really tired. otherwise, life as usual. always study.

Kenny

lostinthought
03-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Your playing is probably fine to go up to the 2/4 level.. or at least to start trying to beat it.. you'll figure out quickly if you're ok.

If you need a break, take it..

otherwise, try to incoporate study on a more regular basis...
perhaps the combination of studying and playing

Warik
03-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Reached the 250BB mark at around 6:15 EST today. Byebye $1/$2!

Going to study and play only one table until I feel comfortable and then fire up the other 3.

Thanks to everybody for the valuable posts. It's hard to think I used to be an any-ace, any-king, any-two-suited player.

Premium hands to all.

LetsRock
03-29-2004, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the main problem with moving up in limits is losing initially and getting the mindset of "oh no, all the hard work to build that BR and now I'm down to $1/$2 BR levels!" and then playing more loosely to make it back. If I've been able to avoid tilt during these downswings, then perhaps when the 100 BB swing comes, I won't see it as "$400" - I'll see it as just what it is - 100 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very possible you'll hit a cold streak when you move up - they can come at any time. And you will think "Dam, it took me 2 weeks to make that money and it's gone in a blink." If you have enough BR, it shouldn't be a problem, but if you start getting light, move back down and build your BR again. Don't go into "gotta get it back quick" mode, as that's a sure recipe for losing lots of money real quick.

(I recently stuck my big toe into the next level for a couple of hours and was severely cold carded - I drug exactly 2 pots for 5 BB in 2 hours. I moved back down and it took me a week to get the money back, just part of the game.)

JTrue
04-08-2004, 11:58 PM
I would if I were you