PDA

View Full Version : 96o from SB -- anyone play this? - Turn Pump!

04-10-2002, 02:49 PM
PP 1/2. I'm dealt 95 in the SB. Three limpers to me. If there are four or more players I post the .5 to see the flop. Does anyone fold in this situation?

Ok, I see the flop and I'm looking for 678 flop.

Flop [6 7 8] rainbow wow -- now I'm more than psychic, I'm a mentalist -- or just mental -- you decide!

So, I check. The BB bets, all call and I raise. BB re-raises and all call. I go for the check-raise because I find this is the best way of pushing players off on the turn and finding out if I'm behind. Betting out and getting called tells me little.

Turn [2]. I bet, BB raises all fold and I call because I put him on a T9. Don't think he raises with anything else as I dont' have a good read on his play.

River [2]. I check, because I'm afraid of the turn pump (thanks to Bernie!), and the T9. However, I call as I can't walk away from this now.

BB takes the pot with 66 FH! Then I think I played this correctly, but should have never called the flop. What do you think?

04-10-2002, 02:55 PM

04-10-2002, 03:08 PM

04-10-2002, 03:28 PM
I don't like playing 95o anywhere except for free in the BB. That was quite a flop indeed. I like the checkraise on the flop, especially since in a micro limit game, most will stick around to pay you off. Most people won't assume a straight as often as they will a flush on the flop (at least it seems this way to me at the low limits) and I think that it was very reasonable to play his set the way he did. T9 is also a possibility however, so you don't want to get too agressive. I would have reraised him on the turn as well and called another raise. This may just be as a result of my agressiveness, but I find you can't always fear the nuts. The paired two on the river sends me into check call mode since he may easily have been raising it up with a set. I think the hand was played well after a highly questionable preflop decision. You got unlucky on the river (but then you got lucky on the flop /images/smile.gif ). JMHO.

04-10-2002, 04:05 PM
I don't like the flop call. 95o is just trash plain and simple. I like the checkraise on the flop since with that many players someone is bound to bet.

I really think you can bang it again on the turn. Even before I finished your post I put the BB on a set. If he had the nut straight most LL players are going to slow play that flop. His reraise on the flop really defined his hand IMHO. If he capped your turn reraise then I think you can safely say he has the straight - I suspect he would have only called.

I would have lost more money on this one.

04-10-2002, 04:33 PM
I Prefer folding in Sb unless I have an "ok" hand... I could play 6, 7 o

but not 9, 6 or 9, 5

A worthless hand from SB is K, X off, Just fold em!

04-10-2002, 05:07 PM
Here's an excerpt from John Feeney's book Inside the Poker Mind

One easy-to-spot tip-off of a player's general skill level is whether or not he ever throws a hand away for half a bet in the small blind. If he's not folding some hands here, then he's one of the masses of too-loose players.

95o is an easy fold.

04-11-2002, 09:44 AM
Thanks to all that responded, and Dynasty for the quote.

As I lost this I had the uneasy feeling that I should not even be in the pot. I do toss most cheese from the SB. My thinking was that if there were enought players, it could be profitable.

But, in hindsight and with your comments I'm now certain I should never have been in the pot!

Royals to all of you!