PDA

View Full Version : 3-bet top 2 on the river?

Glurfle
03-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Party 2/4. Opponent seems loose and passive.

I limp in EP with A/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/spade.gif. 2 more limpers behind me including opponent, SB completes, BB checks. 5 players, 5 SB.

Flop: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif4/images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet, opponent calls, BB calls. 3 players, 8 SB.

Turn: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. I bet, opponent calls, BB folds. HU, 6BB.

River: 9/images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet, opponent raises, I 3-bet, opponent calls.

Main rationale for the 3-bet was that it seemed most likely that he hit his kicker on the end. In retrospect, that's putting him on an extremely narrow range of hands. I just feel like a dork when I get raised on the river and don't 3-bet a superior hand. Afterwards, I realized that there really aren't many raising hands on the river except slowplayed monsters, assuming he wasn't hanging on with something like T9 (not necessarily a safe assumption).

How's the 3-bet? What do I do if he caps?

Barry
03-27-2004, 03:50 PM
I think that a set or a wheel would have popped it on the turn. The river doesn't make any draws, so A9 is as good a guess on his hand as anything, so I would 3-bet and call a 4 bet.

JTG51
03-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Looks routine, and you call a river cap. You wouldn't really think about folding, would you?

deacsoft
03-27-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm with these guys... 3 bet and call the cap. You're only a looser to a flopped and slow played straight (fish will play hands like 5-3o and wait untill the river to raise), or trips from a pocket pair (judging by the way it was played I consider this unlikely. even though, they will call and then raise on the river with this also). However it looks as though you have nothing to fear.. 3 bet and call if capped. If he did play and hit a terrible hand or river his 2 outer; pay him off, thus, encouraging him to play horrible starting hands and chase 2 outers in the future. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DonWaade
03-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Great three bet, call if he raises back.

bicyclekick
03-27-2004, 06:28 PM
I think he's got A9, a4, or a2, none of which beat you. A9 is probably most likely.

Good hand.

Barry
03-28-2004, 02:52 AM
Well....

How did it turn out?

Glurfle
03-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Like a total wuss, opponent just called the 3-bet, and showed 99. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I certainly would have paid off a cap.

Mike Gallo
03-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Don't let the results sway your line of thought.

You played the hand well and should not consider folding.