PDA

View Full Version : The sort of hands that drives me nuts

Acesover8s
03-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Very good online NL game. Every player is either super-passive or overly aggressive (all in reraises with A5o, etc).

.50-1.00 blinds. 4 passive limpers and I make it $8 straight with AKo, I have the table covered. Only get 1 caller.

Flop comes J82 with two diamonds. I have no diamonds. He checks, I bet $16. He calls.

Turn is an offsuit 10. He checks, I bet $25. He calls.

River makes neither a diamond, nor a pair, nor a straight for me. I have no nut pair. He checks, I take the free showdown.

Nobody would play this hand this way, right. Destroy me.

1800GAMBLER
03-27-2004, 03:43 PM
I don't fire the 2nd barrel in this case, in this game, on that card. Firing the 3rd barrel isn't too good either, he probably wont even drop 9T and it's not there often enough anyway - not that it folded preflop but other hands are more likely.

bunky9590
03-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Well, As i respect your play in general, let me ask a couple of questions on the thought process in the hand.

Preflop- Raise to 8 is automatic, Me likey so far.

Flop- Once again automatic, I usually get a ton of folds here, but he called (how much left in his stack?, more likely a Jack or diamond draw?) What are his calling tendencies?

Turn: If you're going to bet $25 why not just check? That half pot bet is begging you to get popped if he has a stack and puts you on AK, but the way you played it it looks like he's on a draw and the 1/2 pot bet looks like a please don't fold value bet. Problem is he doesn't know that and called, AGAIN!

Now when he checks the river, he'e either busted his draw, or wants to show down his measley Jack for as cheap as possible. I which case if he busted the draw with no pair, you win. If he has the Jack, short of pushing in, I don't think he's folding to a $50.00 bet or under, and thats not a big bet I want to make with nut no pair on a semi coordinated board.

I like to shut down after the flop bet here, and check it through on the turn and river.

1800GAMBLER
03-27-2004, 03:58 PM
What busted draw does aces beat?

bunky9590
03-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Some kind of rag tag diamond draw with no pair. Its not likely so thats the reason I shut down after the flop bet.

only something like a small sutied connecting diamond draw is the best he could hope caling him there. Otherwise, he's screwed. /images/graemlins/blush.gif