PDA

View Full Version : river bet?

04-10-2002, 05:19 AM
3-6 generally loose passive

i'm in BB and get 10s9s

3 limpers, sb folds, i check.

[10d 7d 5c]

i check, L1 checks, L2 bets, L3 calls, i checkraise, L1 folds, L2-3 call.

[Kh]

i bet, L2 calls, L3 folds. heads up.

river is an offsuit 3 and i bet, my opponent calls.

comments?

04-10-2002, 05:23 AM
L1 called with Ad5d and i took it down.

a friend of mine didn't like my river bet as he figured L1 for betting his draw and thus would only call the river if he in fact had a stronger 10.

i tend to agree with him and in retrospect think the river bet was not a good idea, i was actually suprised he called with the pair of 5's.

still, this is LL and opponents will show down all type of nonsense, so if i was wrong its probably not by much.

what do you think?

04-10-2002, 09:50 AM
I find you can't know passive players of their middling pairs, and you've got a terrible kicker. So, IMO, there's no value in betting the river. Because it's passive, he's likely going to check.

My guess is that you bet he called and you took down the pot because he was trying to make a gutshot.

04-10-2002, 10:04 AM
I posted a hand last week, similar situation and the consensus was at the lower limits the bet should be made. Players seem to make the crying call a lot and you'll be giving up too much to just check it out. The real question is can you fold to a check-raise?

04-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Actually I am not surprised at all. It was a loose call on the end, but it is 1BB into an 8BB pot so combining "call for the size of the pot" and "what the heck" I see this situation a lot.

As far as your play, the bet is thin, but I think it is ok. I tried to debate the merits of checking to induce a bluff+save a bet on some occasions, but consensus was that you will make more by betting, and I agree.

As far as his play...GAG! I would be more inclined to try a raise than a call; I would need you to lay your hand down 1 in 5 times to break even and you are representing a 10, so I think you might have given it up to a raise. I don't know how he can think he is ahead unless he think you are on a lower flush draw or pushing the 8-9 strt draw.

Also, I would have 3-bet you on the flop to try and get a free card. He likely has 13 outs (flush + 5s + aces) and if he can knock out L3 those 13 outs look even more solid. If you cap it I suppose I hope L3 hangs around to give me better drawing odds...interesting contradiction.

Treefrog

04-10-2002, 05:06 PM
You played well, He would have bet a K, the only thing you lose against with that bet is if he holds 10, J... He might have checked that hand.. I think you played it great... Now I wanna check the result