PDA

View Full Version : Hold 'Em Excellence

namknils
03-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Hi all, I was wondering from the common poker folk, how good is Hold 'Em Excellence by Lou Krieger? I received this book as a gift, and also received HEPFAP, obviously I'm reading Sklanksy's book first but do you all have any advice on the Kriger book? Should this book be read for entertainment value only? Or do you swear by this text?

uuDevil
03-27-2004, 03:19 AM
I think it is just ok. Krieger is a fair writer and if you are relatively new to Hold'em it should be helpful. It isn't as good as Lee Jones' WLLH. It is entertaining so I would say it is worthwhile on the whole.

The intended audience is different from HPFAP, so I wouldn't compare it directly to that.

benfranklin
03-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Here is one review: http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/holdem_excellence.html

Seems to me Mason reviewed this also. Try searching this forum. It is not going to tell you anything you won't learn from WLLH or HEFAP, but it often helps to hear something two different ways.

Tuds75
03-30-2004, 05:38 PM
I read the Kruerger Book first and it did not help me at all. Then once I bought Sklansky book read it I actually felt like I "knew" how to play poker, plus I had a better overall sense of the game. Spend your time reading and studying Sklansky and Re-Gift the Krueger book to a friend who wants to learn poker, that way when you play him/her you can take thier money.

maurile
03-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Krieger's book is a much better introduction to hold' em than HPFAP is. Many of the concepts in HPFAP are too advanced to be of much use in the lowest limit games.

HPFAP should not be anyone's first book on hold 'em. It should be read (and reread) when one is getting ready to move up to the middle limits.

To compare the two books doesn't make a lot of sense because they're written for different audiences.

onegymrat
03-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Very well said.