PDA

View Full Version : Tight Play, Missed Flop now what

spazm6666
03-26-2004, 09:11 PM
I have been reading all the posts lately about the tight early play in the SNGO's and found it all very helpful and it has helped my play. But if betting proper pot sized bets and raising a big hand like AKs or AQs you could have a T300-400 pot when the flop comes and likely 1-2 opponents.

The question... When you miss your flop completely and it's early so no solid reads on opponents how do you play after the flop (this is one I had) like 4d 2d 4c, none your suit and you act early or first.

William
03-26-2004, 09:18 PM
As you don't have many chips invested in the pot, I would just give it up. Many players call raises with the specific purpouse of stealing the pot when rag flops. It's not worthy fighting and getting crippled at this stage og the tourney.

Take care,
William

ThaSaltCracka
03-26-2004, 10:27 PM
my first response was to bet out and represent a high pocket pair, however if you are in EP, that might be a bad idea. Late posistion I think that is the proper play if it is checked to you.

I would agree with William, if you are in EP, the flop misses you, you should check/fold, IMO.

spazm6666
03-26-2004, 10:41 PM
It seems like i just might be learning something here from all of you as the more I thouht about it the more I began to feel the same way. No one at these tables is going to peg me as weak this early, and more power to the fish who happily 'steals' from me here then gets crushed by me later on.

I should have included position in my first post. Thanks again.

CrisBrown
03-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Hi spazm,

You can lose more SNGs betting missed flops with AK than you'll ever win by picking up the smallish early pots. As for whether other people will read you as "weak," are you concerned about this because you're afraid people will run you off of possibly-good-hands, or because you don't want to be "weak" generally? If it's the latter, hey, poker is not about ego; it's about money. If it's the former, that is what reading players and reading hands is all about ... knowing when your good hand is the best hand. AK on a 4-6-4 flop is almost never the best hand.

Cris