PDA

View Full Version : Failing with multiple tables online

JamesPatrick
03-26-2004, 07:28 PM
I can consistently win on a single table, but whenever I play two or more tables I just get smoked. How is it that some players are so successful doing this (for example: davidross). Am I lacking some important skill? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bisonbison
03-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Are you able to read a book and watch a movie at the same time? And smoke a cigarette? And eat a burger? And think about your ex-girlfriend and how she's loving someone else now, despite all you two shared?

If not, I suggest single-tabling.

harboral
03-26-2004, 07:48 PM
You have to be pretty solid to play more than one table. IMHO here, since you are not going to be getting much in the way of reads on players - you need to tighten-up and have a set idea of what you are playing and from where and stick with that.

If you can do that, and play aggressively when you get decent hands, then you can make quick enough decisions to play two games - maybe more. I play two games pretty well, three is too much for me.............not everybody can stamp-down four games at once.

Start at the micros- I was able to play pretty well at the .50/$1 tables with three going and win over 3BB per hour per game. Good Luck. AL

jasonHoldEm
03-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Just a random idea...

Spend a week playing four play money tables (I think you can do four play money?)...anyways, the key here is to learn to divide your attention between the tables with zero risk. You don't even have to try and play well at first, just keep up with the action...after spending a week playing four play money tables, two real money tables will feel about the same I would guess.

jHE

Tosh
03-26-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm currently playing 5 tables, reading a magazine, posting this reply and watching TV.

sthief09
03-26-2004, 11:06 PM
how do you get 5 tables? 2 sites? is there a site that lets you play 5 tables?

you are an animal tosh /images/graemlins/ooo.gif (that's a good thing in the US)

Bob T.
03-27-2004, 05:40 AM
I can consistently win on a single table, but whenever I play two or more tables I just get smoked

Uh, what's the problem? Why don't you just play one table, at your most profitable limit, and enjoy the proceeds? Multi-tasking isn't for everyone.

I split my time between playing one and playing two. When I play two, my second table, is usually a lower limit, and sometimes it is an Omaha/8 game which also moves slower. At the lower limit game, or the O/8 game, I tend to play robot poker, and on the higher limit game, I try to play well, focusing on my opponents, making adjustments, etc .

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

coachkf
03-27-2004, 05:50 AM
Playing two tables takes greater concentration...and generally the more you concentrate, the better you get at it. That or your head explodes.

Seriously, your win rate will take a hit at first, but it just takes practice, in my opinion. That being said, I saw another posters advice to play a lower limit for your 2nd table and just play robot poker, placing your main attention on one table. Thats a pretty good idea, until you've got to where you can take in the action of both tables at the same time, as well as you used to be able to handle one.

Cheers,
Coach
Poker-Strategy.Org (http://www.poker-strategy.org)

Tosh
03-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Yeh 4 at Party and other sites open. Most I've played is 8. Kinda murdered my computer though.

bicyclekick
03-27-2004, 04:02 PM
It's kinda funny to me too, cause I can play 6 tables at once, semi-watch tv, read this forum, and talk to 1 person on AIM at the same time.

I can't talk on the phone for crap though when multi-tabling. Sometimes I need to concentrate for a sec and it's hard to do that on the phone.

It's easy cause there really is a lot of downtime even when playing 6 tables.

When 3 people message me at once it gets frickin hectic. I start to lose it then.

I really don't know how I can do it. I guess I just know my game well enough that most decisions aren't very hard. I probably really have to think about a hand once every 10 minutes tops. I'll pay attention next time to see how often i have to thnik.

What's amusing is i'm generally a pretty poor multitasker. I have a hard time talking to one person on AIM and another in real life. I dunno, hehe. Conversing requires so much more concentration then poker (at low limits).

At high limits I couldn't do it, but this is auto pilot (3/6 party) poker.

Tosh
03-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Btw was that you I was talking to at the table yesterday about Pacific ?

brick
03-28-2004, 01:46 AM
You're never going to play as well at two tables as you can at one table...
but you don't have to fail...
I agree that you should practice playing four play money or micro-limit tables.

WillMagic
03-28-2004, 03:05 AM
It takes a good amount of experience to multi-table, but once you can it's definitely the right way to go. The more you play the faster you realize the correct play, and the faster you realize the correct play the easier it is to multi-table.

One piece of advice is to try to avoid multi-tabling short-handed - one of the reasons it works so well for me is that I'm rarely playing more than one hand at a time.

Will

bicyclekick
03-28-2004, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Btw was that you I was talking to at the table yesterday about Pacific ?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

Tosh
03-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Was 99% sure it was but thought you were called bicyclekick on Party ? You've tempted me enough to come back to Pacific though.

Jeffro
03-28-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm going to stay just stop trying now, just read thru your prior post and see you have been playing online for less then a month. Please take some time and learn the online game. Also your sample can not be large enough to say you are a consistent loser playing two tables.