PDA

View Full Version : AA

04-09-2002, 05:07 AM
online 2/4

I open raise in MP with AA. The cutoff reraises, folded to me and i decide to call to slowplay a little given that its heads up.

Flop is J 5 6 rainbow. I check raise, he reraises and I call. I put him on KK most likely, but QQ and JJ definite possibilities, as well as a small chance of AK given from what I've seen of his play. I plan on checkraising turn.

Turn is a blank. I check raise again and he reraiises again...uh oh. At this point Im pretty sure Im beat but how correct (if at all) would a fold be?

results later...comments on all parts are appreciated, especially preflop.

04-09-2002, 05:27 AM
Folding is definitely wrong. I would expect to win this hand.

Slowplaying is wrong. However, I wouldn't consider what you did to be slowplaying. Just calling pre-flop with the intention of playing the flop and turn very aggressively is a profitable strategy.

04-09-2002, 12:00 PM
You may be screwed here, but there is still a chance you are ahead, and that chance seems more than enough to call the last 2 BB. His play could still represent KK or QQ. Small chance he could have the other AA too. A-J would be overplayed, but a remote posibility.

The only things he could have 3-bet with pre-flop that you are behind is JJ, 55, 66. Most (but not all) low-limit players will slowplay a flopped set, especially heads-up, until the turn. I'd call and check/call the river expecting to see KK. You are both representing at least an overpair and when he 3-bets again on the turn he is representing a set. I don't believe he has it enough to lay this down though.

The call preflop is fine. If you cap you are really announcing your hand. You will make up the 1 sb lost with the chk-raise on the flop (plus the additional post-flop action).

I don't see any problems with your play here. I think you are also right to slow down after the 3-bet on the turn. I don't think fold is an option here against most 2-4 players.

Treefrog

04-09-2002, 01:35 PM
I called the turn raise and river bet. He showed JJ. Oh well.

04-09-2002, 02:07 PM
Yep. That stinks for you. Sometimes you just get stomped on even if you do the right thing. In hindsight you could have saved $ by not chk-raising the turn, but I don't think you really know you are behind until the 3-bet on the turn. You can't let him off cheap the times he might have KK or QQ.

Good luck,

Treefrog

04-10-2002, 11:05 AM
i must disagree w/ all the previous posters about u possibly having the best hand on the turn... do u really think a 2/4 player is going to 3 bet a ck raise twice w/ only 1 pair??? there is no doubt in my mind that this man has JJ and u r drawing to 2 outs... part of the value of ck raising on the turn again is to find out if ure beat or not.

peter

04-10-2002, 02:50 PM
Ok. I can accept your position, so let me ask this then: Would it be better to check and call to the river instead of check raising the turn (since he 3-bet you on the flop)? Same 2BB but you get to the showdown; If you are ahead that is good, or you might hit your 2-outer. If you ARE going to fold to a 3-bet I think that chk-call/chk-call would be a viable alternative. What do you think?

Treefrog

04-14-2002, 03:22 PM
sure its a viable option... but a passive one at best... the fact of the matter is that if u think your hand is good u go ahead and ck raise, but definately fold to a 3bet... but most likely when he 3bets the flop u kno ure beat so u call the last bet on the flop hoping to improve on the turn... if u still are not sure u can "test the waters" by betting into him again on the turn and if ure raised for again, its just like getting 3bet after a ck raise except it only costs u 1 big bet... u must learn to release overpairs... especially in these lowlimit games where most people are very easy to read...

peter