PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive strategy when the blinds get big. . .

VarlosZ
03-26-2004, 03:12 PM
There's a lot of talk in this forum about the importance of conservative play in the first stages of SNGs, but I don't see much talk about it's corollary: aggressive play in the intermediate and late stages.

After a fast start playing Party's $50+5 SNGs, I've hit a rough patch and I'm now rethinking my approach. Obviously I can't keep playing super-tight when then blinds get to 50-100 (especially since I've been playing tight and rarely have a big stack), but it's dangerous to pick up pots preflop because so many opponents are playing loose. Moreover, since the blinds go up so fast and you start with a fairly small stack, you're only going to be able to take two or three good shots (if that) before you run out of chips.

Timing and hand selection therefore become extremely important, but lately I've been picking all the wrong spots and I need help. So: what's your system for opening up when forced to do so by the blinds? With which hands (and in which positions) should you be taking your shots? In other words, what sort of changes should you be making as the stakes rise?

Thanks in advance.

dana33
03-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Some heads-up simulations I have been doing indicate that you should push and call all-in bets with a lot more hands than you might have thought once the blinds get big. My results are still preliminary, but you might want to take a look at this thread:

Simulated heads-up endgame in all-in or fold mode (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=595131&page=1&view=ex panded&sb=5&o=14)