PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck or my mistake?

steeser
03-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Final 20 of the $50 UB NL tourney last night. Down from 90+ to 20. Final 10 get paid. I'm the short stack at my table with about 1700 in the BB and I get JTo. Blinds are 75/150. Folded around to the SB who completes. I check (I considered pushing here to pick up his chips, but decided against it as I had done it a few times before).

Flop comes down T83r. The SB bets out 200, and for some reason I make a quick small raise to 400. He then re-raises me to 600 and I call. The turn brings a K and now he bets all-in. I quickly call and he shows Q3o, and beats me when he rivers a Q for his 3 outer.

Now my questions are:
1) Should I have raised larger on the flop?

I probably should have pushed here as I thought I was ahead and was going to probably take this hand to the end.

2) Once he re-raised here, do you push, call, or fold?

When he re-raised the small amount, it looked suspiciously like something he wanted me to call. For some reason I did just call.

3) When he pushed on the turn, do you call or fold?

I felt like I was pretty much committed at that point, and still thought I was ahead. The large turn raise made me believe he was scared and trying to take it down there. If he made the king I would have expected a much smaller raise.

My overall feeling on the hand is that had I pushed on the flop, he would have folded (although he was pretty well committed at that point). My other feeling is that his push on the turn is pretty ugly. He had to believe he was on 3 outs at best if I call, and given the flop action had to think there was little chance of me folding.

Thoughts?

Greg (FossilMan)
03-26-2004, 02:51 PM
In hindsight, you played the hand perfectly. You got him to put in all his money as a 14:1 dog. Your mistake was letting him catch on the river. ;-)

I probably would've played the flop differently than you, but after seeing his cards, I would've wished I had played it your way.

Also, make a note about this guy. He's somebody you want to follow around, as he's going to be spewing lots of money until he learns better.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Nottom
03-26-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He had to believe he was on 3 outs at best if I call,

[/ QUOTE ]

He had 5 outs, but that doesn't really change anything.

steeser
03-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Oops, my mistake, the flop was T85, he didn't even have bottom pair.

Girazze
03-28-2004, 03:16 AM
First time poster here, just learning the game, been playing about 2 months. When the turn was a K, why did you not think he had a K and paired it up? He did go all-in on the turn. If I only had 10,10, I would have certainly thought he had a K and wanted to take the pot then without seeing the river.

Is my logic flawed?

steeser
03-28-2004, 03:33 AM
No, I don't think your logic is flawed. But I didn't put him on a king. I thought that if he had an ace (or king) that he would have pushed me around pre-flop. Since he completed the blind, I didn't give him credit for much.

Hence, when he pushed all-in on the turn, I was reading him for a steal.

ThaSaltCracka
03-28-2004, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I don't think your logic is flawed. But I didn't put him on a king. I thought that if he had an ace (or king) that he would have pushed me around pre-flop. Since he completed the blind, I didn't give him credit for much.

Hence, when he pushed all-in on the turn, I was reading him for a steal.

[/ QUOTE ]
was the table short handed? if so, I would agree with you too.