PDA

View Full Version : Kings on a 9-10-j flop - 3 handed

bank
03-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Was this a good fold by me on the flop with pocket kings or a huge mistake?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

UTG+1 ($48.50)
UTG+2 ($64.88)
Hero ($49)
MP2 ($49)
MP3 ($51.25)
CO ($110.97)
Button ($54.58)
SB ($26.37)
BB ($84.05)
UTG ($84.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $5, Button calls $5, SB folds, BB calls $4, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($25.50) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, CO calls $12, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $79.05 (All-In)</font>, UTG folds, Hero folds, CO calls $67.05.

Turn: ($195.60) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($195.60) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $195.60
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $195.60, between CO and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB ($195.60).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Qs Jc (two pair, jacks and tens).
CO shows 8h 2h (one pair, tens).
Outcome: BB wins $195.60. </font>

Huskiez
03-26-2004, 02:21 PM
With a coordinated board like that and a person moving all in and a caller, I would muck them. Save it for a better time. It's easy for someone to have flopped two pair, or already the straight, and with two people in with that much money on the table, you have to figure your KK is not faring too well.

On a side note, what was CO thinking? Gotta love Party.

Absolution
03-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Probably a good fold, but I'd put a note on that guy for betting so large with only top pair and a queen kicker.

MrFroggyX
03-26-2004, 11:04 PM
This must be a joke!?
Or what?

We got this guy in the CO. he calls a preflop rasie 5xBB with 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif?? What a joke!! (but im also happy that there are fish like that! /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

The flop call of $12 is okey beacuse the pot is big but then he goes all-in for $67.05 more!! Thats crazy! Someone must have to much money to spend.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thats is funny!

bank
03-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Oh it's no joke. The players at my table were truly clueless. I wish I had called his all in /images/graemlins/frown.gif

1800GAMBLER
03-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Anyone like checking the flop? What about if you had AA instead?

muzungu
03-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Was thinking of suggesting that myself. I definitely don't like that 1/2 pot bet- make it at least $20 or check behind, I'd say. The weak bet gives someone holding QJ a chance to semi-bluff raise all-in and push you off a better hand. (Which was a nice play on his part if he reads you as a tight, solid player, IMO).

If you check, you keep the pot small, and you force someone else to make a play. If it gets checked all the way, you'll probably win. Plus, you might be able to pick off a bluff at some point. Maybe you can value-bet the turn/river if it looks safe, but I think checkng here is certainly worth considering.

-muz

muzungu
03-27-2004, 01:33 AM
Hmm... on the other hand, I just fired out a pot bet with AA (no heart) into a JT9 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif board (with position against 2 EP callers of my preflop raise), so maybe betting is ok too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif There are lots of holdings that you are ahead of, and many of those would like to see the turn for cheap.

But certainly bet closer to pot if you do bet, and check behind on the turn to a flop call (unless you are sure they are drawing, and it's tough to make that kind of read online).

-muz

jdl22
03-27-2004, 01:50 AM
Would you be more likely to check this flop with kings or aces?

I would rather have kings for this flop since you can still hit the second nut straight, so I would be more inclined to bet that.

crockpot
03-27-2004, 06:22 AM
i think that this raise by the QJ is much better than calling or folding, especially if the opponent is capable of folding an overpair. you may get a better hand out, or get someone to call with a hand like QT that you are way ahead of. and if you do hit the straight it will be hard to get action on it anyway if there is money left to bet.

on the hand, it is $32 to call and there is $88 in the pot. with these pot odds, and the chance that you can hit the winning straight if you are behind, i think you have a clear call. even against a set you have six outs, which is about 3:1. i'm not too worried about the player behind me having a better made hand; he is almost surely on a draw, and if he plays it probably won't hurt your odds.

bunky9590
03-27-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm checking the flop here to take the freebie and try to keep this pot small. If checked to on the turn, then make the 1/2 pot bet, but BB actually played it well if he thought you could fold. and he had outs to redraw.

The flop bet needs to be an over bet if you're going to make it. But that flop smacked a lot of people in all likelihood so slow down and check it. You can obviously get away from your hand if it comes down real bad, so don't get pot committed with an overpair.