PDA

View Full Version : Optimal table makeup? (is there such a thing as too loose?)

gonzo787
03-25-2004, 11:57 PM
I'm a long term lurker to this board and have gained a lot of knowledge by reading these boards. So first of all, I want to say thank you.

My question today pertains to very loose tables. I am a successful micro limit player but have had trouble playing the ultra loose tables lately. You know, the ones with people calling raises with any two suited cards, any ace, pair etc. This is bad to say but even when I have AK and the flop comes A 6 3 rainbow, I almost expect to lose somehow. Believe me, I know and understand the +EV of a loose player. I love having a few loose players on my table and of course would prefer that over a relatively tight table (think low limit at UB). But some of these ultra loose tables seem diffucult to beat at times. I resist playing hands like AQo,AJo,KQo,KJo and like to play hands like Axs,JTs,98s and of course the very high pairs AA and KK. So anyway what exactly is the optimal amount of players you like to see the flop? The more the better or something more reasonable, say 5 or 6. Personally, I think 5 is optimal. Obviously, the numbers vary by the type of hand you have.

Thanks

gonzo787
03-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Hehe, just went through the boards and seems there are already a couple topics on this subject. Reply if you wish...

Zetack
03-26-2004, 12:44 AM
I don't know that there is an optimal number, although five is pretty nice. More players make the hands trickier to play, but the payoffs sure can be nice. Plus its easier to do things like check raise, or simply raise your monsters the more people are in. Hey variety is the spice of life, how bout a table where sometimes ten people jump in and sometimes its just two?

Also, play A-Qo. There's a lot of equity there.

--Zetack

StellarWind
03-26-2004, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is there such a thing as too loose?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely! Ten very loose players at a table is too many.

However, nine is great /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Seriously, play the good offsuit high card hands: AKo-AJo and KQo. When you play AJo or KQo against six other people, who do you think is most likely to have the best hand? You'll lose more than you win, but you'll win more than your share.

It isn't all about flushes and sets. Top pair, best kicker is still the key to hold'em.