PDA

View Full Version : Is this how you play from the Button?

Georgia Peach
03-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Since reading and participating in the great 72 sooted debate, I did not enter into this hand (which may be open for criticism as well), but I was curious how y'all see the play of the button:

It was a real tight table at times, no more than 2 or 3 to the flop and a lot of hands ended on the turn.

Anyway:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Onlooker is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Onlooker folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10.16 BB, between Button and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (10.16 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Td Kd (one pair, tens).
Button shows 8d 8c (one pair, eights).
Outcome: BB wins 10.16 BB. </font>

jrobb83
03-25-2004, 10:28 PM
The turn raise is too aggressive imo. I'd play it the same way untill then. But if the BB is fairly tight I'd go ahead and fold to the turn bet. With two overcards to my eights and a bet into me after I raise the flop, I give my opponent credit for at least a higher pair and fold.

xerxes
03-25-2004, 10:43 PM
No criticism at all for you folding that ugly hand in MP. Now, critiquing Mr. Button:

pF: Absolutely fire a raise into the blinds, hope to take it down there.

F: BB's raise could be any piece of the flop, a flush draw, or sniffing me out to see if I'm a a weakie. The raise is mandatory.

T: BB's bet after my raise is interesting. If he's a typical LL player, it usually means he has a T or he had a good piece of the flop and is now enboldened by the fact that a 3rd diamond didn't appear. With some players, it could mean he has the same baby piece of the flop he had before, but is trying to muscle me out. If he's a crazy, it could mean that he's got any 2 cards. I'd probably call here instead of raise. That may be weak of me. With some opponents, I'd have a good enough notes on their behavior that I could lay it down here, but I think that's atypical.

R: I wouldn't bet here. Lots of BBs would call a bet with just a baby piece of the flop, but the turn bet by BB makes me think he's more likely to have me beat than he is to call me with an inferior hand. So, the bet isn't for value, and I'm certainly not going to win by getting BB to fold a better hand.

jrobb83
03-25-2004, 11:37 PM
I think simply calling down after the turn bet is definately not the correct play with a normal opponent. If the opponent is aggressive, maniacal, or tricky, then I may call it down, but it would still be close. You are only getting 3-1 odds from the pot to call a turn and river bet. After a normal opponent bets into me on the turn after I showed strength both pf and on the flop, I lay down my eights here. I'm beat here enough times to make it unprofitable for me to call it down.