PDA

View Full Version : a semi-bluff early in a SNG

Al_Capone_Junior
03-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Early in a SNG. Blinds were s 15-30. I had a bit more than 1700 chips. no one was especially short stacked.

I had 8c7c and limped on the button after three limpers. Blind checked and five saw the flop.

Which was...

6s 9s 3h.

The blind bet $60 and two called to me. I called. If you're gonna gamble, make it early.

The turn was the 3s.

It was checked to me.

I bet the pot, around 440 or so.

Comments?

Al_Capone_Junior
03-25-2004, 09:39 PM
gee Johnny, I don't remember.

al

ThaSaltCracka
03-25-2004, 09:41 PM
well you are TRYING to represent a 3, but I don't know how anyone can think you possibly have one though. I mean nothing you have done represents that. Now, that being said, I like the bet though, but I think you will get called by anyone with a piece of that flop. I dunno, I probably would have checked the turn.

Tosh
03-25-2004, 09:51 PM
I think its more likely he's going to make his opponent fear a flush than a 3rd 3.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-25-2004, 09:52 PM
i was trying to represent the flush, or maybe a three.

more often than not i do check these situations. but not this time.

al

t_perkin
03-25-2004, 09:55 PM
This really is pretty close to a straight bluff. If you don't take it down here then you would definately have to check on the river even if your straight came. In fact you would have to fold if someone bet into you.

looks like a good move to make in NL ring.

I would say a bit too risky in a SnG.

but you are the expert not me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim

Al_Capone_Junior
03-25-2004, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but you are the expert not me

[/ QUOTE ]

I am usually an expert relative to the competition in the games I select. That does not make me a true expert. However, it's good enough to make plenty of money with.

al

ThaSaltCracka
03-26-2004, 12:24 AM
hmmmm.. flush eh..... well yeah apparently my critical reading isn't all that good.
I will revert to my early statement that I like the bet.
good show al, please don't whack me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

VarlosZ
03-26-2004, 06:12 PM
I'd try to decide what to do on flop. If I decided to semi-bluff, I'd do it right then. You want to stop another spade from falling, and there's a good chance of a free card on the turn if you're flop bet is called. Mostly, though, if you're going to semi-bluff, why wait and give the rest of the table another chance to make a hand that can call you?

Al_Capone_Junior
03-28-2004, 09:11 PM
In order to semi-bluff the flop, I'd have to raise a bettor and two callers. Not my usual MO.

If I made my hand, at least if I made the str8 without a fourth spade hitting the board, the aspect of worrying about a hand calling me is greatly diminished, as most of the time I will welcome them to call.

al

xxx
03-29-2004, 12:17 AM
I dont like it-
its early in the sng
you have a free card for a draw
and if you have been slow played you are crippled

legend42
03-29-2004, 02:06 AM
First of all, that's not a semi-bluff.

Second of all, I think it's too risky. The field's too big, your prior investment too small, too early in the tourney, etc. If you don't know these opponents, you're really gambling into the dark here. Two limpers called with *something* on the flop. Sure, it could have been just overcards, or a gutshot draw, but a flush draw or A3 are possibilities you can't dismiss.

Checking does a bunch of good things for you. You get to see a free river. And you get to see the action on the river. Many players will check a made flush or boat on the turn, hoping to induce action. But if it's checked around again on the river, then you can be much more comfortable about a pot-sized bluff (and if you do hit your straight, you can be fairly certain it's good enough for a value bet).