PDA

View Full Version : A Tournamet Players Bankroll?

deacsoft
03-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Just a quick question for all my fellow tournament players out there...
Is there an equation for recomended bankroll for tournament buy ins as there is for limit ring games? In playing limit ring games it is recomended to have 300x the BB for which ever limit you are playing. This helps to leave a player some breathing room for bad days. A player can handle the good days and the bad alike. I do understand that tournaments are much more profitable if the stakes and number of players are right, but that it is going to be less often that a player will win or finish in the money in a tournament. So, more bad days than good. Do you need to have say $500 if you're going to play $10+$1 tournaments? Just curious as to what you all think/do. Is there a standard already set as there is in limit?

Thanks to all who post on this twoplustwo.com! Good luck at the tables.

curtains
03-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Id want to have at least 50 the buyin for a multi table event. If tournaments are your main game than Id suggest 75-100x the buyin. If you are regularly winning at cash games, then feel free to be a lot looser in your requirements.
Also if you are going to play sit and go touranments, you generally need a smaller bankrollthan playing in multitable tournaments. Id say that 200 is enough to do well at $10 sit and gos, if you are a winning player.
I believe at the start of one's tournament poker career, they should focus on steadily adding to their bankroll through sit and go's.