PDA

View Full Version : Horrible HU play

TheGrifter
03-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Did anyone else think that the HU play of both frenchman at the WPT event shown this week was awful? The blinds were tiny relative to the stacks and these guys were pushing everything in with Ax. Why? Did they both think that the other was that much better (or worse) than them that there was no point in postflop lay?

Honestly, I've played a lot of 10 and 20 dollar NL HU matches on stars and these guys played like a lot of people do in those. Pushing with garbage even when the blinds don't warrant it.

uuDevil
03-25-2004, 11:58 PM
I was (checking out GrannyMae's TOEJAM post) at RGP when I noticed a post suggesting that the players had made a deal. If so, they were just playing for show. Could this be true?

tewall
03-26-2004, 12:02 AM
I thought the play was bad, but not horrible. The blinds weren't tiny. They were pretty large in relation to the stacks, and all-in can be an effective strategy sooner than one might think intuitively. That is, the hands that one can go in effectively when the stacks are say 20 x big blinds include more hands than, speaking for myself, than I would have thought.

But having said that, I agree with you that the play wasn't very good.

Some of the earlier play was pretty good though.

TheGrifter
03-26-2004, 12:32 AM
I honestly forget what the blinds were, I just remember thinking they weren't that big for the stacks. I guess I am using horrible lightly, maybe I should have said really bad. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd worked out a deal and played it out for tv purposes. I don't know though, the guy who finished 2nd seemed genuinely dissapointed. Maybe Limon can write up a "I am more french" story about it.

cferejohn
03-26-2004, 05:01 PM
I thought deals were expressly forbidden on the WPT. Then again, the euro event seems to have a little more leeway, so maybe they got around it. Or maybe the players just agreed to an 'unofficial' deal (i.e. they transfered the money among themselves afterwards)...

Ruddiger
03-27-2004, 12:28 AM
This event was before word of the ban on deals got out, so maybe it wasn't in place. I think the wpt knew this show was a stinker so even though it was filmed first they put it off for several weeks

CrisBrown
03-27-2004, 01:43 AM
Hiya Grifter,

I could easily be wrong, but this may have been a situation of both players feeling a little intimidated . David Benyamine is a very respected tournament player, and I guess his opponent is considered the best tournament player in France.

The general rule for heads-up play is to grind it out if you think you're the better player, and look for chances to push if you think you're the weaker player. So that's why I think perhaps both of them felt intimidated.

Cris

limon
03-27-2004, 10:03 PM
that greek dude george was classic, "i am more creet"?...are there any poker rooms in greece? if so i think ill move..

DcifrThs
03-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Limon,

i loved your little series of anecdotes...can we get some more of 'em?

i am more greek was halarious!
-Barron