PDA

View Full Version : How to go from weak tight to tight aggresive?

xltros
03-25-2004, 05:21 PM
I think my play is generally weak tight, but I'm not sure how to go to the next level. Just looking for any sop's that would be defining moves between the two. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Clarkmeister
03-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Well, you are already tight, so its easy. Go from thinking your opponents always have the nuts, to thinking they never have anything at all.

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, you are already tight, so its easy. Go from thinking your opponents always have the nuts, to thinking they never have anything at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic response /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

xltros
03-25-2004, 08:06 PM
bump, anyone got a few more elaborate comments?

Clarkmeister
03-25-2004, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine may sound like a smartass remark, but its really how to go about things.

Dynasty
03-25-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're in a spot where you think it's close between a bet and a check, always bet. When it's close between a raise and a call, always raise. Soon, you'll realize that usually it isn't as close a situation as you used to think.

xltros
03-25-2004, 09:13 PM
whens the best time to play a tight aggresive game, or when is it not advised? also when do you want to start getting "tricky" and how do you do it as a tight aggresive player.
thanks again.

Gabe
03-25-2004, 09:17 PM
My advice would be to cut out Clarmeister's and Dynasty's replies and tape them to your refrigerator.

bisonbison
03-25-2004, 09:27 PM
My advice would be to cut out Clarmeister's and Dynasty's replies and tape them to your refrigerator.

But cut them out with a gun. Now that's aggressive.

Dynasty
03-25-2004, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whens the best time to play a tight aggresive game, or when is it not advised? also when do you want to start getting "tricky" and how do you do it as a tight aggresive player.
thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should always be playing tight-aggressive. Worry about the tricky stuff much later.

RydenStoompala
03-26-2004, 08:40 AM
There are already good replies on this post. I just want to affirm clarkmeister's recommendation to stay tight, turn off the notion that everyone playing you is betting the nuts, and hit the gas. You are going to have to not only adopt, but love, larger fluctuations in the stack. When there's a reference to earning 1-2 big bets/hour, it's a great "long-term" earn rate. At any given moment, as a tight-agressive player, you can be up or stuck a lot of bets. Imagine poker as a firefighter's job...long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of terror.

UTGunner
03-26-2004, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this essay from 2+2's essays page:
The Different Stages in a Player's Life
by Ray Zee

Schmed
03-26-2004, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Imagine poker as a firefighter's job...long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of terror.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great quote...... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Analyst
03-26-2004, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Imagine poker as a firefighter's job...long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of terror.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tight aggressive is vastly preferable to being weak-tight, where every moment, every hand and every decision is filled with terror.

Analyst
03-26-2004, 10:34 AM
As you implement some of the excellent advice in this thread, and begin raising rather than calling, 3-betting rather than folding, check-raising rather than betting out, etc., the tricky part will become finding the right balance. When you find these moves working, it's easy to become overly aggressive after a while; hey, 3-betting is fun! That's the stage I am in right now (and it's depressingly easy to bleed off chips this way), and figuring out when and how to step back the right amount becomes the next challenge.

AzzaDazza
03-26-2004, 11:27 AM
And frame Elysium's!!

Ulysses
03-26-2004, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, how many moments in limit poker are ever all that terrifying? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bigpooch
03-26-2004, 02:30 PM
He must have been thinking NL HE!