PDA

View Full Version : 6/12 99 hand

pokerwisc
03-25-2004, 03:34 PM
6-12 Mirage

can't remember the hand exactly but goes something like this.

i'm in the bb w/ 99, one is a diamond.

folded to the button who raises, sb thinks and 3 bets, i 4-bet, both call.

flop is T7x, two diamonds. sb checks, i bet, button calls, sb folds.

turn is Kd, i bet and button calls.

river is Qd, i check, button checks, and my hand is good.

comments?

risen
03-25-2004, 03:49 PM
What exactly did you hope to gain by capping preflop with a middling pp stuck in between 2 raisers. The results make things look good in retrospect, but catching a runner runner 4 flush was probably the only possible way for you to win the hand.

Other than that, the rest of the hand looks solid, though I might have slowed down on the turn with the K out. The button didn't pop you though, so no harm.

pokerwisc
03-25-2004, 04:02 PM
i thought the button could have anything and might give up a steal with a 4-bet. i also thought there are a lot of hands the sb would 3-bet with that i could beat i.e. smaller pp or two facecards, so if the button folded i would have position on the sb heads up.

is my thought process ok or way off?

fwiw i'm a relative noob to the lowest mid-stakes with minimal hours at the table

risen
03-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Only downside to your preflop thinking is the SB already tried to isolate the thief with the 3 bet, when you have a pp that's not going to win a hand multiway without catching a set, I think it's best to just call, save the cap for QQ, KK, and AA, because most likely you're facing 3 to 4 overcards from your opponents. And even though I'm not the tightest I'm leaning towards folding preflop for exactly that reason, 99 isn't going to win very often 3 ways. In 6/12 i think it is highly unlikely that making it 2 more bets to the button is going to move him off of any hand he thought worthy of a steal attempt.

Zele
03-25-2004, 05:56 PM
You didn't tell us what kind of player the button is. If he's really out of line and SB knows this, then the 4-bet could be just the thing. On the other hand, if he's a really loose caller, at least when he's put in a few bets, then your raise ain't so great, since you're certainly in a 3-way pot, though 99 is probably worth a call if you aren't too worried about a re-raise from the button.

The flop is fine.

You should probably just check-fold the turn. Of course if you know he's a very loose caller, play it just like you did and fold to a raise (unless he's very aggressive, in which case you'll probably have to call him down.) The trouble on the turn is that there are now two overcards and a 3-flush. He called you on the flop. What hand would he have done that with that the turn wouldn't have improved? Against most reasonable players, you are wasting your money.