PDA

View Full Version : Easy Fold?

sthief09
03-25-2004, 03:00 PM
party poker's hand histories aren't working so I'm going to have to do this manually. neither player had been at the table long so I got no reads. but at a tight table, I would think an UTG limp usually implies a player is somoewhat loose

Party Poker 5/10
Hero has A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the button

UTG limps, MP2 limps, Hero limps, SB completes, BB checks

Flop (5 players, 5 SB) [A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif]
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets </font> , MP2 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises </font> , SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls

Turn (3 players, 5.5 BB) [Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]
UTG bets, MP2 calls, Hero thinks and calls

I was tempted to fold here. I put UTG on a Q and I thought MP2 was overcalling with an A of a flush draw. Now I've got a Jack (board) kicker, so I might be playing for half of a small pot.

River (3 players, 8.5 BB) [4 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
UTG checks, MP2 bets, Hero thinks and thinks and folds

I don't think MP2 bets an ace in this spot, and best case scenario I'm getting half the pot. So I look at this as a 17-1 bet if UTG folds, meaning I'd need to be around 5% sure I'm winning a part of the pot here. With a 3-flush and pair on the board here I don't think I'm getting that.

Was this too weak-tight? Should I have folded the turn? Or did I do it right? I felt helpless from the turn on and I hate feeling helpless.

Results forthcoming...

Alobar
03-25-2004, 03:12 PM
I would have folded the turn, for all the reasons you stated. You fighting for at best half of a small pot. time to just let it go

Vee Quiva
03-25-2004, 03:24 PM
I would have played it like you. If I'm feeling particularly tight, fold on turn. If not you are definitely not winning on the river.

I find that I keep my piece of mind better if I follow my gut on my fold decisions. The times I have laid down the winning hand are so few and far between that its much better than calling everything down and getting irritated that someone caught a "lucky" card.

Another way of saying it is if your getting 10-1 pot odds on the end this still means you are going to lose 10 out of 11 times making the "correct" call. Most players can't handle the loss on the other 10 hands without it affecting their judgement on their other hands. If you think you are behind. Don't chase. Live to fight another day, with a better kicker.

arkady
03-25-2004, 03:27 PM
thief,

i think its very reasonable to assume that if they are still there on the turn that one of them has a Q and since you raised on the flop, you surely do not...i think its a pretty easy fold on the turn.

sthief09
03-25-2004, 05:06 PM
and the pot was small. I think I agree with you ark