PDA

View Full Version : Blind stealing strategy?

Invertebrate
03-25-2004, 07:19 AM
Hi all,

Hoping someone could give me some hints for a good blind stealing strategy for low-limit SNG's. I feel I'm too passive in the middle section of the SNG's and lets myself get blinded too much waiting for playable hands.

Some questions:
1. Do you steal with anything (eg. 83o) or do you wait for a fair hand (QTo or so) that has the chance to actually hit something playable on the flop?

2. Do you only try to steal in late position, or do you raise UTG at passive tables?

3. Is it an automatic fold if there is a call in front of you, or could you try to steal anyway (assuming a medium tight player who called from early/middle position and assuming you believe the blinds will fold)?

4. How much should you bet? At the 100/200 level, a 3xBB is quite a dent in your stack if you have to lay it down to a reraise, but anything less feels to small to make the BB fold. When do you push all-in, at 1/3 of your stack? 1/2? 1/4?

I realize all this depends very much on the table, and therfore might be impossible to give firm answers, but any help is appreciated ...

Thanks,
Pete

Simon Diamond
03-25-2004, 12:18 PM
3. Is it an automatic fold if there is a call in front of you, or could you try to steal anyway (assuming a medium tight player who called from early/middle position and assuming you believe the blinds will fold)?

There is a lot of weak play in low limit SNGs, you see a lot of limping with mediocre hands. They can be pushed off their hands in most cases, but don't go over the top raising with crap.

Simon

Hiding
03-25-2004, 01:33 PM
I'd watch trying to steal from UTG, its pretty early in position and you are liable to end up facing a real hand. So if the hand is good, go for the steal or see a flop. But other than that, If I am trying just to steal a blind, I want to be first into the pot in late position, with not much more than the button (if that) to act after me.

I'm still new so take this for what its worth