PDA

View Full Version : check-reraise. should i have been more aggressive later on?

afk
03-25-2004, 02:55 AM
PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed)
New to the table, no real reads. Table very loose and passive so far.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (8 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

I figured someone without a jack would take a stab at the pot so I checked with the intention of a c/r but when it came 2 back to me I distinctly remember thinking "Let's see how much they really like their hands". Would anyone have done anything different? Bet the flop instead seeing as there's a potential flush draw? I also didn't feel particularly worried about the cold callers because people always call 2 with junk at this level, if they like their hand they usually let you know. I would think at least one of them was on a flush draw.

Turn: (12 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls.

River: (16 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 8d Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
UTG+1 shows 3c Jc (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 10 BB. UTG+1 wins 10 BB. </font>

I feel I should have been more aggressive either by check-raising the turn or re-raising the river, I think I was kind of worried my kicker wouldn't hold up and that probably stopped me from being more aggressive later on. Thoughts?

Haupt_234
03-25-2004, 03:08 AM
I say you checking the flop here is the right thing to do. You will not bet out a flush draw and there is a good possibility someone will bet with a mid PP or to bluff (who knows why).

I would have probably waited to check-raise the turn, though, after another heart didn't fall. There are many people cold calling the raise between you and the bettor on the flop, and their play is likely to continue on the turn. Your check-raise would bring a ton of money into the pot as well as charge a great amount fo the flush drawers.

I liked the play, but I think you jumped the gun on the check-raise after you saw a bet and a raise.

Wait until the turn next time, but good hand.

Haupt_234

afk
03-25-2004, 03:13 AM
One thing I didn't consider was that the flop bet would get raised behind me (which isn't too far fetched with such a flop), and calling 2 cold didn't seem right at the time - though I couldn't tell you why now - though I've been on a drive to get more aggressive, perhaps this is pushing the limits with that many cold callers.

Haupt_234
03-25-2004, 03:20 AM
I feel for you in that a cold call doesn't feel right. It usually never does, but you have to realize that raising would probably drive out some more money for your pot, as well as scare the raisers.

There are usually a bunch of cold calls in this limit, so yours could definitely mean a flush draw to them.

Haupt_234

Rico Suave
03-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Hey afk:

I think you played the hand fine. I will generally lead out on the flop, in the hopes that I can 3bet. But considering the huge field, I think the c/r is fine. I know looking back on the hand, it looks like you should have smooth called the flop bets and then c/r the turn. I think that is a reasonable course of action, but so is 3betting flop. You do not know if you will have all of the callers at turn to charge the extra bets, while you are pretty certain to collect a sb from everyone immediately.

Nice hand.

--Rico