PDA

View Full Version : Pokertracker--cool program

Zetack
03-25-2004, 12:57 AM
So, I finally broke down and bought poker tracker. Pretty darn cool program.

I went and loaded a bit over 2600 hands. Obviously way to few to draw any conclusions but I have some thoughts about it anyway:

If you want your stats to look pretty don't start off loading seesions in that cover a hundred BB downswing. Ouch! Gee after 2600 hands I'm up a whopping $6.25 or +0.24 per hundred. Actually I feel pretty good about grinding my way back up after taking that hit, but its a pretty ugly looking stat.

This Vp$Ip that you guys keep talking about, seems to include putting money in post flop...it seems to me that its not the best indicator or tightness or looseness of play given the skewing effect of the blinds, and the incredible situational dependence of post flop play.

Ok, small sample size notwitstanding, its interesting to see some stats. I was just thinking the other day about how over time I've changed from thinking of JJ as a hand you really wanted to see make a set, to thinking of it as a powerful hand in its own right. Turns out in the 18 hands I've had it in this sample I won with it 50 percent of the time. And tens? 12 times, 41 percent winner...that's not too shabby.

It's pretty handy for checking your opponents tendencies. I had a player identified as an extremely passive calling station. Turns out, in 174 hands, he never once raised PF and he never once bet out or raised the flop. Not once. Wow. (He didn't ever have AA in this sample but he had pretty much all the other premium hands).

Is there a glossary of the terms anywhere?

Anyway, now when y'all talk about your pokertraker stats I'll at least be able to follow what you're talking about.

--Zetack

cold_cash
03-25-2004, 01:04 AM
So I'm guessing you're giving it your endorsement?

I'm still on the fence about buying it. I'm trying to get the hang of using the trial version, but I haven't made up my mind yet. (Maybe it would help if I knew what all those abbreviations meant....)

TBone
03-25-2004, 01:08 AM
Don't know about the trial version, but if you hold the mouse cursor over the column I think it tells you what it means?

T

Zetack
03-25-2004, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't know about the trial version, but if you hold the mouse cursor over the column I think it tells you what it means?

T

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but in places like more details that doesn't work, and occaisionally the curser over explanation isn't much clearer than the abreviation.

And yes, I give it my endorsement. It helped that I've been saving hand histories for a couple of weeks so I could take notes on my regular opponents when I was away from the tables so I had something to feed pokertracker right away.

--Zetack

uuDevil
03-25-2004, 01:26 AM
Zetak,

Terms are defined under the Help menu. Go to main index and and select, for example, Ring Game Player Statistics. Here you will find the definition of VP$IP:

Vol. Put $ In Pot - percentage of times player voluntarily put money into the pot pre-flop. Putting money in the blinds is not considered voluntary unless you call from the SB or call a raise from the BB.

Note that it is NOT supposed to include $ going in after the flop. Maybe you found a bug? Let us know.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cold_cash
03-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Cool. I've got about 700 hands imported into my trial version so far. I think tomorrow I'm going to tinker around with the program and seriously try and figure it out.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to invest the $50 bucks or whatever it is; so far I haven't heard of anyone who wasn't glad they bought it.

I mean after all, you guys aren't really the sharpest knives in the drawer, but you can't ALL be wrong, right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cold_cash
03-25-2004, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this to work (I don't know how I missed this before, I guess I should take back the smartass remark I made in my other post), and I'm definetely buying this thing now. Before I only knew what about 3 of the columns were, and it looked much harder to figure out than it really is.

Even for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Very cool.

Haupt_234
03-25-2004, 02:52 AM
While we are on the PT subject... anyone have any idea how to delete a loaded history??

I slipped and posted a blind for a NL table and the red is starting to annoy me /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Help appreciated, thanks.

Haupt_234

Zetack
03-25-2004, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool. I've got about 700 hands imported into my trial version so far. I think tomorrow I'm going to tinker around with the program and seriously try and figure it out.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to invest the $50 bucks or whatever it is; so far I haven't heard of anyone who wasn't glad they bought it.

I mean after all, you guys aren't really the sharpest knives in the drawer, but you can't ALL be wrong, right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep finding more and more cool stuff the more I fiddle with it. The replay hand thing is pretty nifty.

Also you can break the data out by sessions and days. Looking at my losing sessions one of the things that jumps out at me is how much the premium hands just don't hold up in my big down sessions. That makes sense since the majority of your winnings tend to come from the premium hands. That doesn't preclude me making mistakes and contributing to the problem, but its pretty interesting stuff.

Also I replayed a buncha hands where I got to the showdown with no pair (mostly from ultra passive hands, a lot of em out of the blinds, but some from pushing big cards that didn't hit). It shows all the known hands face up all the way...its amazing how often your marginal hands are actually dominated, something that's easy to miss when you see them flashed for a second at the end of a hand, or when many of the hands are mucked.

Anway, its fun to play with.

--Zetack

afk
03-25-2004, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While we are on the PT subject... anyone have any idea how to delete a loaded history??

I slipped and posted a blind for a NL table and the red is starting to annoy me /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Help appreciated, thanks.

Haupt_234

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh it's stupidly annoying eh? I missed ONE LOUSY HAND somewhere, and my PT total earnings is 2 whole cents above the real total.

Haupt_234
03-25-2004, 03:12 AM
Yea, somewhere along the lines I lost/didn't load 200 BBs in .50/1 worth of history.

I have no idea where it went, and it sucks seeing a total amount a lot lower than what is real.

Haupt_234

sublime
03-25-2004, 09:28 AM
I downloaded the trial version

While it is a great program, I tend to overanylze things as it is. I think I will pass. Is this going to be detrimental to my game?

Zetack
03-25-2004, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I downloaded the trial version

While it is a great program, I tend to overanylze things as it is. I think I will pass. Is this going to be detrimental to my game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. The drawback could be that one starts obsessing over particular stats, overanalyzing and reacting to statistical blips instead of playing well.

One thing that is really nice is you can pick up some things about your opponents that you can miss even if you are taking notes. For instance one player I knew was passive turns out he has never raised Pf or on the flop. Never. About the only premium hand I haven't seen him with is aces. Well what does it mean if he ever does raise eh?

Another player, who is very aggressive in other ways, in some 600 hands I've played with him , has never check raised. Well that's interesting... That kind of thing.

--Zetack

sublime
03-25-2004, 11:45 AM
I was thinking of those benifits, tracking your oppenents plays that is. Just wondered if it was worth it at such LL's.

I know that it will just drive me insane knowing what mt w/l % is for each position. More than likely it will be detrimental to my game.

Zetack
03-25-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I know that it will just drive me insane knowing what mt w/l % is for each position. More than likely it will be detrimental to my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rotfl...yeah, stay away from it then. I've got really bad results 4 off the button. Just fine 3 off and 5 off, but a big red number at 4 off...weird. (and I'm looking forward to having 60 or 70 thousand hands to smooth out some of the statistical anomalies.)

--Zetack

k000k
03-25-2004, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, somewhere along the lines I lost/didn't load 200 BBs in .50/1 worth of history.

I have no idea where it went, and it sucks seeing a total amount a lot lower than what is real.

Haupt_234

[/ QUOTE ]
It's going to get off a little anyway, since it can't handle hands where someone went all-in.

sthief09
03-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Utilities-Database Maintenance and Options

find the session and purge it

ptrack pat
03-25-2004, 04:43 PM
if you are still getting errors on all-in hands then you don't have the patch I put out over a month ago to correct a change in Party hand histories on all-in hands.

www.pokertracker.com/patch.html (http://www.pokertracker.com/patch.html)