PDA

View Full Version : A hand from the 2+2 table...

sfer
03-25-2004, 12:46 AM
or why alcoholic beverages should change their warning labels to "Do not drive, operate heavy machinery, or play poker (even micro limit) at a table of TAGs after consuming this product."

8 handed, moderately buzzed Hero is UTG

Hero is dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero raises, folded to the button (MG) who 3-bets, blinds fold.

Heads up to the flop for 5.5 SBs: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/club.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets, MG calls.

Turn (3.5 BBs): A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/club.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
Hero bets, MG raises, Hero 3-bets, MG caps, Hero calls.

Okay, this I can forgive myself. No, I can't. MG has to reasonably put me on AK/AQ/AJ/JJ from an UTG raise after I 3-bet this turn. He's not scared of any of them. No way I'm ahead.

River: 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif [A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/club.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
Ahh, the piece de resistance. Hero checks, MG bets, Hero RAISES??? (in my defense, my gin soaked mind temporarily read the board as having 4 clubs), MG 3-bets, Hero calls.

What did MG have? Ni han, sir.

After the hand, I just kept thinking to myself: Beer, the cause of, and solution to, all of our problems.

StellarWind
03-25-2004, 01:17 AM
I'd probably bet the turn, but after that I think I'd call him down.

Did MG have JJ?

symphonic
03-25-2004, 01:32 AM
MG had JJ or AK?

afk
03-25-2004, 03:18 AM
I happened to be lurking at the table and watched that hand. Though I won't blow the surprise for everyone else. I'm happy you've accounted for your river check-raise though 'cause it sure confused me at the time /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

o0mr_bill0o
03-25-2004, 03:43 AM
lol, well, i at least hope it was a good beer.

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
MG had JJ or AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing quite that good /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GuyOnTilt
03-25-2004, 08:53 AM
MG has to have JJ. If he has AK, he went one bet too far.

As for how you played it, I would've check-called the flop. On the turn, if MG wouldn't fold KK or QQ to a check-raise, I'd do that. If he would, I'd bet out. If raised, I'd call and bet the river. That might be the weirdest line I've ever advised, but I like it against a solid 2+2'er. And against MG too I guess. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GoT

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Sfer,

You overplayed several of your hands. I knew once I got a hand I would use that against you.

When you check raised the river I put you on AK or AQ.

Did you consider what hand I might have held or did you think you would knock me off of it?

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 09:01 AM
MG has to have JJ.

Nope.

Sfer had a serious lag going on. I three bet him with less than JJ. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Festus22
03-25-2004, 09:37 AM
MG likely has a boat on the turn - no way he'd cap the turn on just a club draw and he has to start to think sfer has an ace after he 3-bets the turn so MG's cap shows some power.

So it's either A-J, J-J or 8-8. Not having read any other posts in this thread yet, I'll go out on a limb and say 8's. J-J is my second choice with A-J bringing up the rear. (MG - you didn't 3-bet an UTG preflop raiser with A-J did you?)

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 10:16 AM
(MG - you didn't 3-bet an UTG preflop raiser with A-J did you?)

Would you three bet with AJ suited against a lag who has pushed marginal hands?

sfer
03-25-2004, 10:22 AM
I put you on AK/AJ/JJ after the turn cap. The flop smoothcall threw me off. But when I'm playing sharper (i.e. not giddy from drinking and making beach house plans with friends) I would have gone into call-down mode after the turn raise. Either way, I had 3 clean outs and the river checkraise was totally asinine--I blame the booze.

I was ahead preflop though. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm happy you've accounted for your river check-raise though 'cause it sure confused me at the time

After he check raised the river I put him on the flush and I thought he put me on AK

sfer
03-25-2004, 11:34 AM
I thought nearly all of my non-steal raises were pretty legit. Except for a hand where I raised 33 in MP, but I'm pretty sure I had the best hand on the flop.

And UTG, I think I raised AQ, JJ, TT.

But I don't have PT at work so I can't verify definitively.

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 11:49 AM
I thought nearly all of my non-steal raises were pretty legit

Either you or Josh open raised from UTG with KJ off. I would call that a little loose.

StellarWind
03-25-2004, 11:56 AM
You did it, didn't you? It's a great fit for your post-flop play but I dismissed it because of the preflop.

This shows why hand posters should say something if their own table image is out-of-whack for some reason. It can make a difference.

sfer
03-25-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't remember doing that last night. But I've done it at the table before. If I do, it's after several hands (or sometimes more than an orbit) have either been folded to the blinds or had the blinds surrendered to a single raise AND I think the blinds are on the tight side when defending. The table regularly goes through rockish cycles.

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Sfer,

Can I post the results?

sfer
03-25-2004, 01:04 PM
MG showed AJ for the flopped top-2, turned nuts.

EDIT: No more fooling, semi-fooling, even light drinking prior to these tables for me. My ego (read BB/100 at .5/1) can't take anymore. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 01:23 PM
I had AJ suited.

I will give my thoughts here.

Preflop Sfer had made some dubious raises. When everyone folded to me on the button, I could not see laying down AJ suited. No way.

I hit the flop hard and the rest of the hand played itself. Against an opponent who will over play his hands, I do not mind reraising with this hand.

Any comments?

Who would have folded ?

sthief09
03-25-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No more fooling, semi-fooling, even light drinking prior to these tables

[/ QUOTE ]

i second that. drunken poker apparently puts me on the worst tilt ever even when i'm in a great mood

StellarWind
03-25-2004, 01:38 PM
I would have folded based on sfer's testimony that his EP raises were usually legitimate. Also my style is to play within my limitations. By that I mean if a decision seems genuinely close, I take the action that avoids putting me in a situation where I won't know what I'm doing. Which brings me to me question:

How would you have handled the hand if the flop was A82r and an aggressive player like sfer came after you?

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 01:49 PM
How would you have handled the hand if the flop was A82r and an aggressive player like sfer came after you?

Funny you should say that.

However for this situation I had position and I had a hand.

bisonbison
03-25-2004, 02:12 PM
I would have folded based on sfer's testimony that his EP raises were usually legitimate.

I was telling everyone that I wasn't raising light, and asking them to fold or stay in depending on the strength of my hand, but no one listened to me. My confusing straightforward play made me only 15BB in 180 hands.

Where's the 2+2 love?

Mike Gallo
03-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Your comments did crack me up. When you had KQ against KK with a Q high board, your comment " I have the second nuts" made me laugh pretty hard.

I found your new converter site.

I had a blast playing with you guys, hopefully we can do it again next week.

TBone
03-25-2004, 03:34 PM
You're obviously much more handsome than me. /images/graemlins/wink.gif