PDA

View Full Version : J2, Brute?

Matt Flynn
03-24-2004, 11:35 PM
$5-10 PLHE 6-handed. I am, shall we say, lubricated in all joints, tongue and brain and betting arm, ready to dance without music.

Four limpers to me in BB with J2. I check. Absolutely brilliant move I think to myself, grabbing my Sam Adams Light (don't knock it til you drink it, it's delicious).
Flop is JT2 twotone. Helllooooo kitty! I check to tighty limper to left who bets $30. The way he bets I know that he has AA or AJ. It just wasn't a QQ or KK or KJ bet. I am not kidding and don't know how I know that.

One caller to me. I make it $140. AA/J calls. Button goes all-in for $185 more. I know from the way he bets that he has two cards, and probably two pretty good ones. Decision time. Ok, call. Tighty calls. Pot is $1025 or thereabouts.

Turn is a blank 7. Damn. Gotta think here. After a lot of thinking compressed into a few foggy seconds, I bet $200. Tighty calls. He will call $400 on the river pretty much no matter what (ok, $300 if it's a flush card or if he has AA and it's a jack).

River's a ten. Check, check. Tighty's got AJ and takes the whole enchilada. Button says he had a draw. Button and I cash out.

Interesting arithmetic huh?

Matt

Nero
03-25-2004, 12:50 AM
I like it until the turn. The pot is big you have a vulnerable hand but know its ahead of tighty, I want to take it down here or get tighties money in. The only time I would consider to building a side pot here is if I knew I was beat by the player who was all-in.

Sam Adams Light? So many fine Samuel Adams brews and you opt for this one.

Guy McSucker
03-25-2004, 07:57 AM
Just wanted to say how much I like the subject line. Even more, I like the fact that the first response was from Nero. Very classical.

Guy.

Krytemaster
03-25-2004, 08:40 AM
When the flop caller moves in it looks very much like a draw if this player wouldn´t have slowplayed a set or JT on this quite dangerous flop.

I would have been more concerned about tighty, but if you know this player very well and can put him on AA or AJ for sure I would have played this harder on turn to get him out. Of course you got unlucky but I would rather take tighty out of the pot with a bigger bet since the "all-in" probably has nothing yet. $200 into a $1000-pot looks rather weak and inviting to me.

Just my thoughts.

Krytemaster

Matt Flynn
03-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Nero,

It was a numbers game. Main pot is $1,000 of which I have a certain equity based on odds all-in will win it.

My decision not to reraise on the flop was to allow tighty in to milk him.

On the turn, I have at most $1,000 in main pot equity. Tighty has at most 9 outs. So he's about 4:1 to win the side (and maybe the main). Tighty wouldn't call more than maybe $200 on the turn. $200 is not enough unless I know all-in has me beat (he is correct to call to draw against me unless all-in has two pair beat).

But, $500-600 is definitely enough, giving me higher EV than blowing tighty off the pot (Laying $1,500 vs. $500 if I've won the main and as little as $500:$500 if all-in has top set). It was knowing tighty's hand AND knowing that he'd call $300-400 on the river that made calling the flop and lowbetting the turn higher EV.

And then he hit and I wished I'd drank the whole sixpack 'cause then I'da taken the $1,000 down.

There's a moral in there somewhere.

Matt

P.S. Take "Light" off the label and that Sam tastes better than the lager or summer ale. I like the Boston Ale better though.

BigBiceps
03-25-2004, 12:46 PM
If you did not fear tighty had JT, then I think you should have went all-in when the all-in raiser reraised you. To get the (side) pot right there would be a victory.

turnipmonster
03-25-2004, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And then he hit and I wished I'd drank the whole sixpack 'cause then I'da taken the $1,000 down.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey matt, I think the moral is you should stick to bourbon (I recommend maker's mark) while playing big bet. two maker's on the rocks and you'd have splashed the pot with your 3rd one on the turn. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--turnipmonster

limon
03-25-2004, 03:17 PM
by not re-raising on the flop didnt you make tighties call correct?

btw, all sam adams is shiatt, but then again im a beer snob...chimay please.

greenage
03-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Chimay is an authentic Trappist beer brewed at Scourmont Abbey in southern Belgium.

Can you get this in California?

limon
03-25-2004, 05:54 PM
ahhh yes...i get the corked pints at cobras & matadors on beverly blvd. i've heard tale that it is on tap at a little pub in pasadena at the corner of fair oaks & colorado...although im not sure this is possible and my source was drunk when he told me this...

3 best beers:

1. chimay (purple 9%)
2. Arrogant Bastard
3. Dead Guy

3 best cigars:

1. TTT Trinidad (with a lynchburg lemonade)
2. Cohiba siglo III (w/ a fresh sugar cane mojito)
3. Padron anniversario torpedo (w/ fresh lime porfidio margarita)

cheapskate choice: R&J cedros #2 w/ A CHIMAY OF COURSE!

sorry if this is wayyy over the head of you mineeesooodians. try a pack of marlboros and a bud.

Matt Flynn
03-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Tighty's call is correct as long as the all-in guy doesn't have two pair beat. Even by percentages he's probably right unless button all-in has no spunk in him.

So yes, I was giving him odds to call in order to get his incorrect river payoff when he missed. Give a little to get a lot.

The same 9-out situation comes up all the time with flush draws. With the flush draw they won't give you a nickel on the river, so you want to blow them off the hand. Here it's same number of outs but the river equity makes you play it very differently.

Ok, now we're talking beer. Chimay is auto disqualification because Belgians put fruit in their beer (truly inexcusable) and Chimay is guilty by association plus it's overpriced.

I like Anchor Liberty Ale, most porters, Guinness (regular much more than the extra stout), and anything that requires a fork. Negro Modelo or Maker's Mark for breakfast unless it's pot limit. Single malt scotch always. I like to discuss them extensively with the waitress at the Bellagio, then order the most expensive one with Coke. For the caramel additive flavoring and general pot limit debauchery, I like Crown Royal. Lace curtain Irish and all.

Alas, I have never had Crystal champaigne. ever since Max Rubin called it "liquid fog" I have craved a taste.

Matt

Matt Flynn
03-25-2004, 06:21 PM
What the heck are you doing at Fair Oaks and Colorado in Pasadena? My grandmother lives a few blocks from there. Next time I'm visiting her we shall converge on that bar and I will drink your putrid Belgian swill.

Sadly the rest of the world cannot hold a candle to California for beer and wine access. We cannot get Arrogant Bastard or Dead Guy here in Raleigh. It's almost criminal.

Matt

Ulysses
03-25-2004, 06:39 PM
I like your drinking style, Matt.

An old useful thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=392943&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&vc=1)

Old Potrero, btw, is brought to us by the nice folks at Anchor.

limon
03-25-2004, 07:35 PM

limon
03-25-2004, 07:54 PM
i guess you gotta be pretty sure of your opponents hand. when JT pops up its hard for a draw to be out of the question and still even if you do know he has TPTK i think you can still give him a bad price for his draw and still get a call.

boos: i shoulda known you bay area guys would be partial to anchor...in so cal we have to go for stone brewery (arrogant). i heard about cristal champagne in Uston's Million Dollar Blackjack...he said Dom was shiat in comparison and he was right. my brother and i bought 12 bottles in late '98 at $125 a bottle kept 2 for ourselves and sold the other 10 at $890 a bottle on e-bay just before the millenium. YUM!

Ulysses
03-25-2004, 08:31 PM
What vintage did you get people to pay you $890/bottle for, limon? Given the great vintages you can get for $150-ish, I can't imagine paying that much, but I do know people were paying some ridiculous prices for sold out vintages around the millenium. I agree Cristal is great, but think good years of Dom and Veuve Grand Dame as well as a few others are very comparable.

limon
03-25-2004, 08:47 PM
i want to say '89. my brother actually came up with the idea i just bankrolled it. i figured it was win/win since if we couldnt unload the stuff my wife would love to have it at the house for parties, special occasions and such.

Ulysses
03-25-2004, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i figured it was win/win since if we couldnt unload the stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a similar strategy. Around Christmas-time, buy a lot of really nice bottles of wine and liquor to take as gifts to parties. Then, every party evening, take a look at that stuff and then stop by Safeway for something cheaper to take to the party.

gunboat
03-25-2004, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3 best beers:

1. chimay (purple 9%)
2. Arrogant Bastard
3. Dead Guy

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask 100 people and you will get 300 "best beers" or close to it. Don't like the Belgians - they tast sour to me.

1. Wildcat IPA (Snoqualmie Falls Brewery, Wa State) A really incredible beer
2. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (Seasonal, hard to find outside of Chino)
3. BJ India Pale Ale (local brew pub)

Obviously I am a hophead.

Guy McSucker
03-26-2004, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

3 best beers:

1. chimay (purple 9%)
2. Arrogant Bastard
3. Dead Guy

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like Chimay, try Kwak. Extremely tasty, and served in an amazingly irritating glass which is more like a large test tube, which has a round bottom so you can't put it down on the table and need to use a wooden retort stand supplied by the barman.

Those crazy Belgians.

Me, I prefer English beer.

Guy.