PDA

View Full Version : Bet the river

Pat C
03-24-2004, 09:53 PM
$3/6 at Canterbury Park
Loose/passive game

I'm on button with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

4 limpers to me, I call, SB folds, BB raises, all call

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets, one middle position caller, I call

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets, MP calls, I raise, BB calls MP folds (I was for sure MP would call)

River Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB thinks for sec and checks...I check too...

Is this too weak? Tight player that i put on A, face...(most likely A,K) Do I lose anything by checking the river for fear of the A,Q holding?

Additionally, should I have just called the turn, with the intentions of raising on the river, so not to risk losing the MP player?

Homer
03-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Is this too weak?

Way too weak.

Do I lose anything by checking the river for fear of the A,Q holding?

Yes, you miss out on some profit. Almost 100% of the time, you'll be paid off by a worse hand, be it trip Aces or a high pocket pair. Once in a while you'll be check-raised by AQ, but not nearly often enough for you to think about checking behind. Your opponent almost certainly doesn't have AQ, as most 3/6 players would not raise with this holding preflop from the BB after a bunch of limpers. In fact, he probably doesn't have a big Ace either, as most players would three-bet you on the turn with such a hand. He likely has KK or QQ (hope for QQ!).

Additionally, should I have just called the turn, with the intentions of raising on the river, so not to risk losing the MP player?

Possibly, but probably not. Some things to think about:

Would BB three-bet the turn with a big Ace, but not three-bet the river?

If you raised the turn and BB three-bet, is MP loose enough to call two more cold with a wide range of hands?

Will BB fire again on the river with an unimproved KK/QQ or will he check-call?

Generally, in low-limit games you shouldn't slowplay, as opponents will give a ton of action with lesser hands without you having to deceive them.

-- Homer

Joe Tall
03-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Common now, bet the river. More often you'll get called or check/raised with a worse hand than a better one.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

Nottom
03-25-2004, 02:11 AM
Wow! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I've seen people ask about some pretty easy value bet, but I think this one has to take the cake.