PDA

View Full Version : Interesting hands from last night

MaxPower
03-24-2004, 12:28 PM
I played some interesting hands yesterday. I’m 3-tabling here so I don’t have detailed reads, but I’ll try to provide something. In general all 3 games were very typical of Party 3/6.

Hand 1 – I wasn’t sure whether to bet the river or check-call.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: MaxPower is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $3.
<font color="CC3333">MaxPower raises</font>, UTG+1 (poster) folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower caps</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, CO calls, MaxPower calls.

Turn: (13.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MaxPower checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (19.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MaxPower checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, MaxPower calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 22.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 22.16 BB, between CO, MaxPower and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MaxPower (22.16 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MaxPower shows Ad Ah (two pair, aces and tens).
MP2 shows Qc Qh (two pair, queens and tens).
CO shows Ac Kh (two pair, kings and tens).
Outcome: MaxPower wins 22.16 BB. </font>

Hand 2 – My turn and river plays are debatable

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: MaxPower is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, MaxPower calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MaxPower checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, MaxPower calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MaxPower checks, CO checks, Button checks.

River: (10.16 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 14.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 14.16 BB, between BB and MaxPower.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MaxPower (14.16 BB).</font>

BB shows 3h Ah (one pair, aces).
MaxPower shows Qd Ad (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MaxPower wins 14.16 BB. </font>

Hand 3 – You probably won’t like the limp. I almost 3-bet the river.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: MaxPower is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $3.
MaxPower calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, BB folds.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, MaxPower calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, MaxPower calls.

Final Pot: 16.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 16.16 BB, between CO and MaxPower.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MaxPower (16.16 BB).</font>

MaxPower shows Qc Tc (flush, ace high).
CO shows 2d 2s (straight, six high).
Outcome: MaxPower wins 16.16 BB. </font>

Hand 4 – not as interesting, but I found it amusing. The Button cold-called every raise I made all night and went too far with pretty much every hand.

Preflop: MaxPower is CO with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (8.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, MaxPower calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between MaxPower and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MaxPower (12.50 BB).</font>

MaxPower shows 9h 9s (full house, twos full of nines).
Button shows 3c Qc (flush, queen high).
Outcome: MaxPower wins 12.50 BB. </font>

Louie Landale
03-24-2004, 02:23 PM
[1] I'm not used to playing against stone-cold idiots like MP2 who will cap the flop when he's OBVIOUSLY in 3rd place drawing to 2 cards. I would NOT have believed the turn check-raise appropriate, but in light of that perhaps it was.

Don't see the benefit of checking and calling the river; but I guess its OK against a stupid CO.

[2] You could easily have outdrawn folks and you are going to call if they bet. You should bet the turn. You should go for the over-call on the river.

[3] I guess these are brain-dead folks. Go ahead and 3-bet the river against these types, especially since he COULD have just made a straight on the turn.

[4] No brainer 3-bet of the river. He's sure to raise the turn with trip 2s and he's a LOT more likely to have a stiff 5 or 8 or and made a "full house" (or even a "flush") than he is to have 5s or 8s full; especially since he didn't get a bet in on earlier streets.

- Louie

If the choices are [1] the bad player is making a mistake, or [2] the bad player has an unlikely hand, then [1] dominates. Really.

J.R.
03-24-2004, 02:53 PM
I would bet the turn rather than ckeck-raise and open myself up to a 3-bet. I don't think CO has a T given his calling and MP2 looks like KK or AK so I would bet the river given no one 3-bet your turn raise, as I suspect the T didn't change anyhting.

Hand 2: Did you call the flop just for a J, or did you think the A was good and look to check-raise the turn? Isuspect you thought the Ace were discounted outs, so I would rather bet the turn than try to check-raise (so no chance to get 3-bet). Although the 2c didn't change much on the river, the chance BB missed a turn check-raise plus the liklihood of an overcall after the turn was checked in a big pot makes me like a river call more.

Hand 3: I lose/win more with the 3rd nut. Straight is out there and the turn play looks like someone who wanted to make sure the 4th club didn't get there and many might expect you to be more deceptive than bet out with a flopped flush. 3-bet the river.

Hand 4: I play the same and hope for the best.

sfer
03-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Hand 1: I would bet the river. You're only worried about KK here and you would have been 3-bet on the turn. The second T doesn't seem like it changes anything.

Hand 2: What was the turn/river plan? Why check the turn and raise the river--whiffed checkraise? If so, given the pot size and your gutshot, that's not a hand you can really fold to a 3-bet, so better to lead the turn, I think, unless you were worried about another raise from the button. But even though the turn checked through I think it's better to call the river and get overcalls.

Hand 3: Looks fine. I've taken a liking to raising with more marginal hands preflop when there's dead money, but I think it's probably a bad idea UTG here unless the table is tight, i.e. at a site other than Party.

Hand 4: I think that's an easy 3-bet on the river.

J.R.
03-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Edit- 3-bet the river in hand 4, I didn't realize the river club put 3 dueces on board.

MaxPower
03-24-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet the river in hand 4, I didn't realize the river club put 3 dueces on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither did my opponent, I guess /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You are right about the 3-bet.

MaxPower
03-24-2004, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[1] I'm not used to playing against stone-cold idiots like MP2 who will cap the flop when he's OBVIOUSLY in 3rd place drawing to 2 cards. I would NOT have believed the turn check-raise appropriate, but in light of that perhaps it was.

Don't see the benefit of checking and calling the river; but I guess its OK against a stupid CO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play online Louie? There are a lot of these guys online. The only hand I was really worried about on the turn was KK. If someone has KK, I'm probably going to lose two more bets than necessary, but I'll win two more bets when no one has it. Given that I wasn't 3-bet on the turn, I should probably just bet the river.

[ QUOTE ]
[2] You could easily have outdrawn folks and you are going to call if they bet. You should bet the turn. You should go for the over-call on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I did think my ace would be good, so I don't know what made me check the turn (perhaps my inner weak-tight child).

[ QUOTE ]

[3] I guess these are brain-dead folks. Go ahead and 3-bet the river against these types, especially since he COULD have just made a straight on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now in my notes I will start labeling people not just as Loose-aggressive, but as Loose-aggressive-brain dead or Loose-aggressive-brain alive.

[ QUOTE ]

[4] No brainer 3-bet of the river. He's sure to raise the turn with trip 2s and he's a LOT more likely to have a stiff 5 or 8 or and made a "full house" (or even a "flush") than he is to have 5s or 8s full; especially since he didn't get a bet in on earlier streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should know better than to assume I won't be raised by a flush.

[ QUOTE ]

If the choices are [1] the bad player is making a mistake, or [2] the bad player has an unlikely hand, then [1] dominates. Really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.